How do I take this apart?

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 35.1 Herrington Harbour North
The pictures below show a door stop from the forward cabin. I took the doors out since they kept getting in the way. I accidentally "touched" this door stop with my foot and it fell out. Well, of course, as the screw going into the bulkhead was only 1/4" long. If I replace the screw with a longer one it should be OK. (This is in case I sell the boat and the next owner wants to use the doors.)

Now the problem: The screw won't come out of the copper colored disc and I can't get the disc out of the stop. Anyone know how to do this?
stop 1.jpeg
stop 2.jpeg

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
pop the cap off
If you mean the copper with the hole in it, there doesn't appear to be a way to pop it off. Pulling on the screw doesn't work, either. The top of it doesn't appear to come apart.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
A sledge hammer would do it. How about filling the hole in the bulkhead with epoxy and then setting the screw in it and let it set, basically gluing the fixture to the bulkhead? I'm afraid applying brute force to remove that disk and screw has a good chance of damaging the fixture or scratching the finish.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
Looks like it has a magnetic pivot at the small end? I would see if the larger chrome piece might unscrew from the inner brass piece. Some vise grips pulling on the screw might give enough purchase to hold the inner while you turn the outer. A bit of penetrating oil between the brass and chrome portions might help a bit as well.

Likely a variation of something like this.

23C7A8BE-EA2E-4365-8D8D-1F226B3FE61E.jpeg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Is it possible that you could find a new one and see if the part came with instructions?

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
How about filling the hole in the bulkhead with epoxy and then setting the screw in it and let it set, basically gluing the fixture to the bulkhead?
A variation of Benny's idea. If the screw is stationary and doesn't rotate, fill the hole in the wood surface with epoxy. Allow the epoxy to completely harden. Redrill the epoxy with a slightly smaller diameter drill as compared to the screw, and rethread the screw into the drilled epoxy.

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
Looks like it has a magnetic pivot at the small end? I would see if the larger chrome piece might unscrew from the inner brass piece. Some vise grips pulling on the screw might give enough purchase to hold the inner while you turn the outer. A bit of penetrating oil between the brass and chrome portions might help a bit as well.

Likely a variation of something like this.

View attachment 201405
Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

I stuck the head of a Phillips head screwdriver into the hole in the brass piece until I got purchase on the brass piece. Unscrewed easy. Thanks!

IMG_0150.jpeg

Aug 20, 2013
Beneteau 311 Port Clinton, OH (Lake Erie)
Dr. D,

If you just need the hole for the screw to be a little tighter I suggest sticking a toothpick in and breaking it off flush, and then reinstalling the screw. Sometimes it takes two toothpicks.

• Helpful