How do i fix the fuel guage?

Dil

Jul 13, 2020
Hunter 30T Neptune
Hi all have a 1991 hunter 30 having issues with the fuel guage it registers however it is stuck at a 1/4 tank how do I fix this?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Is the gauge reading 1/4 tank when the tank is full? To diagnose the issue test the fuel sender, fuel sending wire, power to the gauge, ground to the system and gauge individually to determine where the fault. Might refer to these articles for troubleshooting assistance: Boat Fuel Gauge Not Working? How To Troubleshoot & Fix It Fast! (bornagainboating.com) and Troubleshoot Your Boat’s Fuel Gauge | Boating Magazine Recently went through this troubleshooting exercise on a 37 year old boat and ended up replacing the fuel gauges.

Dil

Jul 13, 2020
Hunter 30T Neptune
thanks for the link going to check the float first seeing as I have power and its reading 1/4 not full or empty

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Here is another resource that may help.

The old float senders were pretty simple and reliable.
iu.jpeg

They are nothing that is like the fuel gauge on your car.

The best information comes from your fuel logs. You know how much yo put into the tank, you know how many hours you ran the engine. You should be able to calculate your fuel consumption and know, based upon the hours running when you should refill. This logging of fuel consumption has been a staple of boat masters for centuries. Add to the calculations, a regular look at the tank for visual confirmation of available fuel.

The fuel gauge is just an idiot light to indicate you need to check the tank.

When I replaced my sender it was not registering the proper resistance.
I replaced it with one like this.
iu-2.jpeg
Be sure to select the correct size to fit the depth of your tank and the correct number of fastening screws.

Good luck.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Check and replace the sender if faulty. If defective I would recommend replacing with the rod type and not the float-arm type. I have found the float arm types to be very unreliable. Also check the gauge for proper readings. The problem could be either the sender or the gauge.