How do I Clean Hunter 49 Fuel Tank, or the Fuel.

Feb 11, 2019
Hunter 29.5 Bristol, PA
Does anyone here have experience with the 110 hp Yanmar in the Hunte 49?

Feb 15, 2008
Hunter 49 Sydney
Many boats have difficult spots and the H49 is no different. For oil changes mine has an oil drain pump so it is very easy, more so than any other I have seen. The oil filter is easy enough to get to, but getting something under it for the drips or catching the oil as you take off the filter is tricky. Changing the impellor if its a 4JH4-HTE ie trubo with intercooler is a blind chalange and the hardest aspect. Once you have done it, its not to bad, but, yep that can be hard. The 3 screws once you figure out how to get you hand there are not a problem. To get the impelor off/out I bought the Yanmar tool and that makes it easy to get the impellor off. I have seen one hunter whom actually redesigned the steps so they were hinged and instead of taking them out wiht the four pins, he took two pins out and swung the front end of the steps up which was a great idea. The base that the steps sit on is relatively easy to get out. Gear box oil change is a bit of a challenge but I have seen worse and not something you do all the time. The impellor which some do often is bigest negative for access I have come across. Had mine from new its done around 8,000 hours, to date given me very little problem. Unlike many others I have done bugger all to it. Worth noteing mine which I run 90% below turbo speed, can get to 1.5L/hr at around 1300-1400 rpm. Everyone will tell you thats to slow. To do the right thing by the engine every couple of hours I will crank it up to around 2200-2500, that on mine is approaching hull speed and at that rate burns about 3-3.5L/hr. Then every time I add fuel just before doing so I take it up to around 3000 rpm whihc is above hull speed and while I dont run it up there long, I think it burns around 4L/hr. Running most of its life below turbo range has not damaged the motor.It might use 1/2L of oil if that between oil changes. Wiht hind sight Im glade I ordered the bigger motor and dnt see access as big issue.

Feb 11, 2019
Hunter 29.5 Bristol, PA
Thank you very much for such a detailed reply. Yes, it is the 4JH4-HTE and only has 600 hours on it. I was a bit perplexed looking at the engine (a big step up for me, with my two little 3gm's). Overall, I feel better that I'm aware that it isn't easy, but is manageable. And I'm glad to hear your experience with where you run the engine. Very helpful.

JR

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Thank you very much for such a detailed reply. Yes, it is the 4JH4-HTE and only has 600 hours on it. I was a bit perplexed looking at the engine (a big step up for me, with my two little 3gm's). Overall, I feel better that I'm aware that it isn't easy, but is manageable. And I'm glad to hear your experience with where you run the engine. Very helpful.

JR
You should consider my water pump impeller modification.
You can change the impeller in 10 minutes in any sea state after incorporating this. Even professional mechanics have huge problems changing the impellers on these engines. The rear facing water pumps are terrible design