How did you do with the quiz?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 17, 2004
Other Catalina 30 Tucson, AZ
So, mates, how did you do with your crew instructions? I hope you had fun with the quiz but more importantly were able to honestly asses your sail trim level of knowledge. If you could not answer all the questions don't feel bad as only 25% of the sailors worldwide could answer all the questions in 2 minutes. If you don't believe me, print the quiz and ask some of these questions of your sailing friends and see what you get for answers. Some things should jump out at you after taking this test. Do you understand all the terms such as DRAFT DEPTH, DRAFT POSITION, TWIST and ANGLE OF ATTACK? Understanding these terms is critical to understanding sail trim. If you do not have a complete understanding of draft depth, draft position, twist and angle of attack and know what each looks like, sail trim will never make any sense to you. If you do understand those elements your instructions to your crew would have been a snap. I call those items "the 4 elements of sail trim". Do you know what happens to each of those 4 elements when you ease or trim the sail controls for the main or jib? If you don't know what happens, how can you effectively adjust your jib and mainsail? The answer is obvious - you can't. So where does a beginner to intermediate sailor go to get these answers? The answer is simple - just stick with me for a while on this Forum and you'll move to high intermediate faster than you can imagine. If your a racer, I guarantee I'll move you up at least 2 positions. You may not come in first right away, but you'll give the leaders a run for their money!!

D

David Foster

OK, Don, I'll bite!

What were the "right" answers? I never was able to find them, and they weren't on the email I got with my answers. I strongly recommend that you use the quiz format we have used before. The answers and score are displayed immediately after finishing the quiz. Between 5 and 15 knots, I would expect to make a number of changes in our windward trim. So two answers would often be correct. More mainsheet tension means less twist, not more, right? David Lady Lillie

P

Peter Milne

Quiz not Helpful

Don, I don't mean to be critical and I always appreciate your posts, but the scenario that you posed in the last quiz (ie wind conditions 5 to 15 kts) was too broad to be very meaningful. Remember that the force of the wind increases exponentially with wind speed. Hence, we a talking about a factor of nine not three across your scenario. Thats a huge range! If the wind is 5 kts, depending on where I want to go and the currents, I may not even put up the sails. If the wind is 15 kts or I think it will reach 15 knots I am putting in a reef. I'd like to tackle your quiz on the assumption that expected wind speed is 10 to 15 knots OR 5 to 10 knots. Particularly the later because I find sail trim much more challenging in light winds. Peter Milne S/V Blue Heron

G

Greg Green

I agree

I agree. 5 t 15 knots of wind is too broad of a range for the quiz questions.

M

Mike

What about the chop?

I had to take the test again because I couldn't remember if I used Mike, or Micheal, or first and last name etc. But as I recall the original scenerio said there was moderate chop. In 5 knts of wind and moderate chop I'd question the use of flat sails. Also, I agree 5 to 15 knts of wind calls for differet answers. Loved the book, but not crazy about the quiz. Mike

May 17, 2004
Other Catalina 30 Tucson, AZ
YHow did you do with the quiz?

Mates: I can understand the problem with the wind range. As I mentioned in another post, there are very light wind, light winds, medium wind and finally heavy wind. Some numerical range has to be attached to those items. Maybe 5 to 15 is too broad for medium wind. I don't think it is but that is beside the point. Actually, I hate tests but I and the good folks at Sailboatowners.com (Phil & Bly) who provide this resource and let me participate here could not think of any other way to introduce the Forum and that is the reason the test introduction scenario was presented as it was with a sailor taking his boat out of the marina and setting his sails for the existing conditions, whatever they are. I could have used any wind speed or even said medium wind but medium etc does not mean anything to me. Anyway, the point of the drill is do you know the function of every sail trim control for the main and jib on your boat? Do you know which sail trim controls for the main and jib are used to adjust draft depth, draft position, twist and angle of attack and which way you have to move them to get the result you are looking for? Do you know the sail trim control settings for the various wind ranges and points of sail? If you don't - stayed tuned and I'll explain it to you.

T

Tim

Poorly thought out test

How can you have a tight halyard with no wrinkles and a looser cunningham with some wrinkles? Wind range is really way too broad.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Hey guys

Please remember the sail trim quiz does not effect your college admission future career choices. :) Nor was it created by the team of experts who create the SAT. It was put online to stimulate discussion about sail trim. And it has, although bashing the quiz doesn't really help anyone learn anything. Thanks! ph.

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
To: Peter Milne

You are right about the challenge of sailing in light air. It is THE MOST difficult to sail in. I have raced in winds of 1 and 2 kts. This is where the sailors are found. Gaining an extra .1 kt can make all the difference in winning and loosing. And at those wind speeds, a bad choice in trim controls can stop the boat and getting it rolling again can be very difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.