How can I find a "Reefing Claw" for DSII?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob Cramer

I've owned a 1980 DSII for one year, and have only recently seen the one-page "instruction manual" for the boat. To my surprise, I've learned that I have a "Roller Reefing Main" in that the boom can be pulled from the goosneck and the main sail rolled on it to furl the main. Is a great idea, except that it requires the use of a "Reefing Claw" on which the mainsheet must fasten (in place of the normal mid-boom eyelet). Called Rudy N. and asked about the reefing claw. He informed me that they stopped making it in mid 80's. Does anybody have one for sale? Perhaps a drawing or photo, so I can have one made? Thanks. Bob Cramer

J

Justin - O'day Owners' Web

Reefing the Daysailer

Bob - check out the forum at daysailer.org for a discussion of using the boom roller reefing. The short version is a lot of people aren't thrilled with it because it creates a funky sail shape. I tried it out and I agree. I had a sail loft put reefing cringles into my sail, and have been happy with that. Justin - O'day Owners' Web

G

Gus Heismann

Reefing Claw Photo

Check out this Rigging page to photo of a Reefing Claw. http://boonedocks.net/talkboard/talkboard.php3?mode=read&group=daysailer&msgid=603

Status
Not open for further replies.