How big an asymmetrical spinnaker should I have made?

Jan 31, 2013
MacGregor Mac26X Trailer sailing for adventure,
How big an asymmetrical spinnaker should I have made? I added a bowsprit to my 26x and can run a larger than OEM spinnaker. I can fit a 34 ft luff. How big a foot would you recommend? 20? What cloth weight? I plan on leaving this sail out in larger winds. I have a facnor continuous furler. Recommendations?

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Yup. Given the dimensions, the sailmaker will tell you. Remember that with a chute the size also depends on the cut.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
A Mac26X is a lightly rigged, lightly built boat. Most of the components that make up the rig are on the small/light end of the spectrum. I would not oversize any sail on it, in particular an asym. Buy the asm sized for your regular J measurement. It will then work with or without your pole. And make is sellable later if you want to upgrade.

Jan 31, 2013
[ominous music up] Looking forward to your report on this...
I had a huge asymmetrical spinnaker on my Mac 25. Foot was 16ft. Luff was longer than stock. Don't remember luff length, but I put a halyard for the spinnaker at the top of the mast to make it fit. I took it down if wind was over 10mph. I did get knocked down a few times :) Nothing broke.

Jan 31, 2013
A Mac26X is a lightly rigged, lightly built boat. Most of the components that make up the rig are on the small/light end of the spectrum. I would not oversize any sail on it, in particular an asym. Buy the asm sized for your regular J measurement. It will then work with or without your pole. And make is sellable later if you want to upgrade.
I have a new unused OEM 26x spinnaker. It's too little to bother with. Barely larger than my light weight gennaker/generator. The rig can take more. OEM is small. Big wind for me with a spinnaker on a 26x is 9mph. Gennaker use 0 to 3 mph. Nothing like what one can do with a boat like yours!

Jan 31, 2013
Call Blue Water Yachts in Seatle and ask their advice.
I found their recommendation for the new main I bought last year good, but conservative. I should have gone full batten main.

Jan 31, 2013
Been thinking more about my off wind to downwind sailing inventory.
Remember a 26x needs all the help it can get. For reference the main is new with two reefs and more battens. Headsail inventory are not soft furling jib and furling 150% geny.

The boat has a selden bowsprit to fly those downwind/wide reach sails from.

I have two uninstalled facnor fx1500 continuous furler systems and 70 toot of torsion rope for the two.
I ordered yesterday one selden adjustable tack swivel to put on one of those fx1500. Dedicate that fx1500 to the symmetrical and asymmetrical spinnakers.

Down wind to closer reach Inventory is:
A) a large symmetrical spinnaker (leach and luff 32 foot ) that I've tried by temporarily rigging the tack similar to an atn device and it was a downwind monster. Fun.
B) a peak sails generator, It's a no wind and still move success. Limits to how high it can point of course. Light lines and no furling hardware used. More work, but hey there's no wind either, so no hurries. http://www.peaksailsna.com/the-generator/
C) a stock oem sized asymmetrical spinnaker I have yet to try. Smallish. Use when wind becomes too much for the generator and no need to point as well as a code 0. Something of a sail to put the most wear and tear on.

I'm going to use the second fx1500 with the torsion line in luff of a code 0. Use the code 0 when I want to point higher than the asmetrical and wind is too much for the generator, (not close enough for the geny). So I want to buy and try a code 0.

Oh yea, I've no desire to use the symmetrical with a pole. Everything but the generator will furl.

Thoughts?

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
MacGregor 25 Rock Hall, MD
BIG. Like REALLY big. Humongous.
That's my son's opinion anyway...