Houston To SanFrancisco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
So, 4768 divided by 125

is only 39 days, plus waiting at the canal. If anyone thinks you can make 125 miles a day in reality...

So double or triple that to 80 or 120 days and if you leave tomorrow, essentially it's October 1, which puts you in the middle of winter and getting to San Francisco in February or March. With NO waiting at the canal.

I just don't think it's a good plan.

Sure, go now, while you still can, but please, please, please do some research and homework on weather in Central America, Mexico, and southern and Northern California before you go.

And plan to make it a much longer voyage.

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
Yeah, I figured 2 months: 3 weeks to get to Panama as the wind is on the noise through the Gulf, 2 weeks waiting in Panama and then at least a few days of waiting for good weather.

I knew it was a beat but did't know the pervailing winds are on the noise on the west coast so I'd now say 3 months a min.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Don't Folks Go To Hawaii?

From Panama to the Northern West Coast?

Isn't Al Gore predicting we'll be able to make the trip going north around Canada next summer?

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
From Panama to the Northern West Coast?

I can understand going to Hawaii and then to San Fran but what another poster said about going halfway to Hawaii and then to San Fran confuses me. Aren't you still in the tradewinds when halfway to Hawaii? If so, that means that when you turn to head to SF, the wind would be on the noise, right?

Jan 22, 2008
Cherubini 37c HULL#37 Alameda
I thought we settled this yesterday. Its going on a truck and the truck aint gonna give a rats ass wich way the wind blows. Does Al Gore sail ?

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
I thought we settled this yesterday. Its going on a truck and the truck aint gonna give a rats ass wich way the wind blows. Does Al Gore sail ?
:) I still could get it there for half price :)

My previous question wasn't necessarly for your trip, but for going that route in general. I plan on spending a lot of time in the Pacific next year so the more info I can get, the better.

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
MIght be able to assist

I would be interested in some of this, depending on timing. Particularly the Galveston to Canal section. Currently not even back home yet, after a Tortugas trip, and am totally commited untill sometime after the first of the year.

Mar 8, 2009
Catalina 22 Kemah,Texas
wind speed and direction.

Yes the truck does give a rat's ass about the wind. If your truck is doing 70 mph west through new mexico and arizona with a head wind your boat could easily be doing 90 mph. I used to truck freight through the I 10 corridor. The move will be daylight only until you get to cali. can't run oversize in new mexico on sunday either so plan on that. waiting until later in the year when you have more daylight will make the trip shorter and less down time in the truckstop.
I would also hide a freight shock sensor inside the boat for the trip to monitor any rough handling by the riggers and shipper.

best of luck. Sid

L

liam Wald

Half the price?

Hey Franklin, you gonna pay for all the busted gear?

L

liam wald

"I can understand going to Hawaii and then to San Fran but what another poster said about going halfway to Hawaii and then to San Fran confuses me. Aren't you still in the tradewinds when halfway to Hawaii? If so, that means that when you turn to head to SF, the wind would be on the noise, right?" FANKLIN.

Take a look at a pilot chart and you will see that it would be a close reach to a broad reach by going half way.
This is called the "clipper route".

My confidence in Franklin actually getting there for 2x the price is waining.

Sep 25, 2008
C30 Event Horizon Port Aransas
I like San Francisco but it's a little cold for me. I am looking at San Diego though. If I get to live where ever I want San Diego is in the top 3 choices. My wife really enjoyed San Francisco.
Personally, I would sail it instead of trucking. But I haven't done any distance yet and I want the experience of it.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
lemme tell ye dago is no treat either----gets 38 degrees here in winter..LOL..and our water is very cold at about 50 degrees in winter--lol we arent the warm spot ye see in july thru nov..LOL....have fun and welcome--ye can have my spot--i want warm water LOL...if you like 50 kt winds and 38 degree temps and water from sky in winter, you will LOOOOVE san diego...LOL....dont need long woollies all winter but just some of it lol.....sailing north from canal is a job --might wanna go out farther than 60 miles then return --bash isnt fun nor dry........:eek:....el nino years are the worst for trying to bashnorth--30 footers arent uncommon---be safe---go next year..LOL...after this june--el nino lasts june - june...might want to harbor hop--some good ones between youand here--lol mazatlan, bahia asuncion---others---the grey whales migrate north in march--i believe humpbacks also....th egreys have babies in magdalena bay.....some cool stuff to watch as ye fend northward--rest up between bashing..helps, sometimes....

Feb 26, 2004
zeehag, ya missed the best part of the description

of San Diego.

June Gloom.

Tell Hermit how long it REALLY lasts...:):):):)

Feb 26, 2004
Hermit

for sailing SF is so way better. We have, uhm, what's that called again? Aha, WIND!

And, as Patrick now knows, we have an ocean, a big bay or two, and, if you WANT, NEED, LIKE or even consider HEAT, there's always the Delta in the summer.

Can't get that kinda variety in San Diego.

Ooops, I shouldn't've let the cat out of the bag....:eek:

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
for sailing SF is so way better. We have, uhm, what's that called again? Aha, WIND!

And, as Patrick now knows, we have an ocean, a big bay or two, and, if you WANT, NEED, LIKE or even consider HEAT, there's always the Delta in the summer.

Can't get that kinda variety in San Diego.

Ooops, I shouldn't've let the cat out of the bag....:eek:

yup agree--whenye wants heat here there is desert 5 minutes away lol..we have WIND during el nino storms and every day after 1400 lol...but.......we dont have much fog..lol...no delta.....mexico is 30 min south,,,lol....only one bay fit for sailing in....mission bay is small...lol
:2cool::poke:

oh yes--june gloom and may fray---lol 2 fullmonths of cold and yuk--lol we only get NICE from july thru november lol.....

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
you guys are talking about San Diego California... right? I've been here forever and the nicest time to sail is...... anytime. But wintertime is especially nice because there isn't much fog and the temp is always mild. Never too hot, never too cold... mostly in the 60's... I love mission bay for small boats because there ain't no big boats and you can be out in the ocean in 15 minutes.

I love sailing in the ocean and I love mission bay cause it's not crowded with navy ships and high speed offshore yayhoos showing off. The vidsnap was taken in Feb 2009

Attachments

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
you guys are talking about San Diego California... right? I've been here forever and the nicest time to sail is...... anytime. But wintertime is especially nice because there isn't much fog and the temp is always mild. Never too hot, never too cold... mostly in the 60's... I love mission bay for small boats because there ain't no big boats and you can be out in the ocean in 15 minutes.

I love sailing in the ocean and I love mission bay cause it's not crowded with navy ships and high speed offshore yayhoos showing off. The vidsnap was taken in Feb 2009
in mission bay you are not a liveaboard--you see yoiur boat mebbe 90 days per year , IFF you go see it more than july 4th and labor day...loll--if you were , you would not be talking about never too cold--is bs--it gets 38 degrees in winter in san diego--regularly--recorded--not just guessed--this is an alleged paradice--also doesnt get WARM here until july..--IFF one resides in a house on land...LOL...mission bay is a 90 day only reside aboard well protected bay that is not a sailing bay but a bedroom bay--the boats sleep there then sail out into the ocean then back into the bay. the only islands withing a day sail range are in mexico, not usa. i reside aboard in san diego bay. i reside aboard 24/7/365. yes there are cold temps., yes there is a lack of outer islands to sail around and to..yes, there is a definite attitude here---not in favor of the small fella---san diego is a big money city--if you HAVE--you are cool. if you are a small fella and donot HAVE millions of dollars to spend here, then you are essentially persona non grata. is no pronblem, unless you are a person trying to be able to live a lifestryle on board without marinas--then you need to leave--and the powers that be--the san diego harbor police--will not hesitate to remind you that this is the case--i have watched many who are not wealthy be railroaded out of san diego bay--there is a big difference between sailing san diego bay and wallowing in mission bay--lol....there are not the islands and places to sail TO from san diego AND FROM MISSION BAY---nowhere except mexico and the 24 hour trip uphill to catalina--i am not impressed with catalina--lol--btdt too many times..LOL--isnt fun to sail in 38 degree weather lol --the 30 ft seas in el nino strorms are fun as well---i guess our friend in mission bay isnt aware of these---since the mission bay sailors are day sailors and racers, as far as i have seen so far---is difficult to get into and out of mission bay when the 30 footers are running--would love to watch mr mission bay run thru those to go for a daysail..LOL....closes mission bay for a few days at a time---mebbe mr mission bay hasnt sailed those days....LOL....there is a difference between hiding a boat in a snot club and actually USING it in the 38 degreee weather we actually GET here...LOL..bundle up!! LOL..

Status
Not open for further replies.