House bank bus bar for 2009 45DS

Nov 23, 2020
Hunter 45DS Seattle
Hi all -- My 2009 Hunter 45 DS has three AGM house batts with multiple leads attached to each positive terminal. This creates both some danger because I cannot cap the terminals for safety and it makes it hard to disconnect discrete/individual systems. Does anyone have similar concerns or better yet has anyone installed bus bars that they would be willing to show pics of and/or discuss? Thank you!

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
. Does anyone have similar concerns or better yet has anyone installed bus bars that they would be willing to show pics of and/or discuss? Thank you!
Do you have a cutoff switch on each battery? I have 3 batteries, 3 switches in a row. Each batt + is wired to the bottom (or top) of each switch. The "out" side of the 3 switches have as LARGE a wire as the switch allows for strapped across all 3 switches. This, in effect, is the + buss, and anything that makes or uses electricity is wired to it except the "always on" and battery charger outputs.. The battery charger is wired directly to each battery.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020
Hunter 45DS Seattle
Do you have a cutoff switch on each battery?
No, but that would be a great addition. I have had the boat for about a month and am building my priority list of projects starting with safety. Do you have switches for each batt? If so, where are they mounted?

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Wrote an article awhile ago about solving a similar problem, but with the negative side of things. Should work for the positive side, but again a different model boat. We have two 8D AGMs, but this buss bar solved the problem in our case while installing a Link 1000 battery monitor system.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome to the forum @seanmadian. Hunters area nice boats. be sure to check out the Pacific Northwest Cruiser forum on this site..

Electrical systems have a few common features for all boats. It would be good to understand your system before you start modifying it.

One of the best places to start is by diagraming the system showing where the wires you want to move go. It is likely you will end up removing them from there present battery connections but what then? Do you need fuses? What is the circuit supporting? What size of fuse is needed?

One of the grest resources we have here is the writings of @Maine Sail.
solutions to you eletrical queries abound.

Nov 23, 2020
Hunter 45DS Seattle
Welcome to the forum @seanmadian. Hunters area nice boats. be sure to check out the Pacific Northwest Cruiser forum on this site..

Electrical systems have a few common features for all boats. It would be good to understand your system before you start modifying it.

One of the best places to start is by diagraming the system showing where the wires you want to move go. It is likely you will end up removing them from there present battery connections but what then? Do you need fuses? What is the circuit supporting? What size of fuse is needed?

One of the grest resources we have here is the writings of @Maine Sail.
solutions to you eletrical queries abound.
Many thanks for the resources/referrals. Will def check out the PNW Cruiser. Good idea too on the diagram. That's prob the best place to start for the entire system. Again, thank you.

Nov 23, 2020
Hunter 45DS Seattle
Wrote an article awhile ago about solving a similar problem, but with the negative side of things. Should work for the positive side, but again a different model boat. We have two 8D AGMs, but this buss bar solved the problem in our case while installing a Link 1000 battery monitor system.
Thank you!