Hot Water Recirculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mark

I own 1985 C36 and have not been able to figure out how the recirculation water from heat exchanger to hotwater heater works. I see two water lines under sink to heater (from engine) but have not be able to understand how to control the flow of water. The hot water heater is currently not being heated when the engine runs. Can any one enlighten me on the basics of this system and how it should work. Does it relate to the large valve that is plumbed to hard metal piping behind heat exchanger? Thanks Much, Mark

L

Les Murray

exactly

I have an '86 C-36 and that is how my hot water is plummed. There is a brass manifold behind the engine that you access from the aft cabin. The spigot-type valve controls engine-cooling water flowing to the hot water heater. You just need to open this valve to start heating your hot water. Now, if you hot water heater is original, you may want to replace it soon. Mine was original when I bought the boat and that was one of my first tasks. I replaced it with another Seaward 6 gal, but the stainless model. Fits in the same space. Good luck, Les Murray s/v Ceilidh '86 C-36 #560

M

Michael McCann

Using Engine Heat to Heat Water

The newer boats do not have any type of control. When the engine runs, the water in the hot water heater is heated. One line comes from the water pump (the one driven by the fan belt) to the water heater, and the other comes from the engine side of the thermostat. Be sure to bleed out any air that gets in when you change any of these hoses, and valves out.

M

Mark Bierei

It works with reverse logic

OK - I got it to work, however, on my C36 when the valve is closed the system is forced to circulate to the hotwater heater. When the valve is open the water flows directly through the hard piped manifold and by-passes the hot water heater. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.