hot water question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 25, 2003
Beneteau Oceanis 48 Casco Bay, ME
I have a 05 H306 that is new to me this season. My first inboard (Yanmar 18). From the manual, I can get hot water from shore power AC, or from engine. The engine has a saltwater cooling intake and there is a separate water line loop to the water heater. I can feel the water lines (from engine)are warm at the water heater, but no hot water out of the tap. I let water run for a bit, still did not get warm. Am I missing something - valve switch or something? Checked manual and looked around a bit but nothing is jumping out at me. thanks for any help

Dec 3, 2003
Hunter Legend 37 Portsmouth, RI
Stupid Question #1

Has the water heater been reconnected into the water heater since it was last decommissioned. If it wasn't, then that's the problem. Check the two hoses on the front of the water heater. There should be an input and an output (separated and NOT connected). Also be sure not to run the water heater on electric if they are not connected to the heater. You'll burn out the element. The water heater hoses from/to the engine will stay connected during decom.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
One Other Possibility .......................

............. is that the 2GM20F can be a real bear to get rid of all of the air from the coolant lines. This may be preventing water circulation to the water storage heat exchanger. You mentioned that the water lines from the engine (is this both supply and return ?) are warm. The supply should really be described as blistering hot as the engine coolant is about 170 deg. F with the engine under load. The return water will be somewhat cooler. You should find a drain cock on the discharge hose from your engine to the water heater. If you fill the engine heat exchanger to the top and try cracking open the drain cock, you may be able to get rid of the last bit of air. Best regards, s/v Island Hunter

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
Agree

An air bound coolant line will prevent coolant water flow through the heater. Bleeding the air from the in line bleed valve should solve your problem.

Sep 25, 2003
In line bleeder valve

I recall that one of the water lines coming out of the bow side of the motor has a small plastic cap that unscrews and it has a dk pink/red fluid in it...is this where I bleed it from??

Dec 27, 2005
Hunter 36 Chicago
Is there a bypass around the heater?

Made the same mistake when I first bought my 31. Turned out there was a bypass around the heater that the PO installed for winterizing. Not something you think of unless you are looking for it.

Sep 25, 2003
by-pass

Hmmm, I do not recall seeing one, but will check more closely. thanks!

Sep 25, 2003
Hot Water Resolved

fyi, the answer was...I just did not let engine long enough. Before I had it running 15 minutes or so. This weekend we took a trip and needed to run the engine a couple hours as the wind wasn't cooperating. Walah, We had hot water. Easy fix! Thanks for the input/suggestions.

Dec 3, 2003
Hunter Legend 37 Portsmouth, RI
Also, Roger...

...I'll bet that the cold Maine water also contributes to a low incidence of hot water!

Status
Not open for further replies.