Hot water heating system

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
I'm assuming that you verified the thermostat is heating the coolant up to a temperature that would make hot water first (suggested earlier by others). This would be step one if I were in your shoes.

Bob846

Jun 7, 2004
Beneteau 423 Long Beach/Los Angeles
You stated you have the D2-55. The earlier models had an issue with the manifold controlling water flow. Engines were not coming to optimal temperature and hot water was not getting produced by the engine. Here is an excerpt from emails passed between Beneteau and a previous 423 owner in 2004:

Service Flash.

If you have a Volvo D2 -55 not coming up to operating temp or not making
scavenged hot water while the engine is run out under load, you may have a
heat exchange manifold issue noted below. This should be easily identified
during normal engine PDI & systems check.
Note: engines will seldom get very warm while in neutral, dockside,
especially in cool ambient water temps.

Per Volvo Penta America.
The coolant by-pass in some manifolds allows too much water flow around
the thermostat path. This results in a symptom similar to a stuck open
thermostat. If the engine is not hot enough to produce the hot water for
the heater, we will modify the manifold to correct it. There are no
visible means to know this from looking at the engine. A temperature
gauge or infra-red temperature gun can easily detect it as well. There
is no official campaign involved as it does not affect the engine
performance or lifespan.
Best Regards,
Rick Pruitt
Volvo Penta of the Americas, Inc.
Director, Diesel Product Support

As a 423 owner, you can find a lot more information about your boat at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Beneteau423/info

Aug 12, 2009
Beneteau 423 Beverly, MA
I took a two hour trip motoring yesterday and came back, measured the engine temperature and it was only 116. Never going to heat the water with that.

Aug 12, 2009
Beneteau 423 Beverly, MA
There it is. Fortunately the Volvo Penta dealer/distributor is on my way home. Great Job!

Aug 12, 2009
Beneteau 423 Beverly, MA
Maybe I'm reading too much into this...however....since the engine used to produce hot water without issue I'm questioning this bulletin as my issue. Not the bulletin itself but that I have an ill-designed coolant bypass. Since that part of the engine has not changed I'm not sure hot it could now be a problem when it had not been for 10+ years. Thanks for the leg-work. This will give me something to discuss with the Power guys.

Oct 22, 2014
Pearson P303 #221 RockPort Maine
And NOW! you know why I personally would never buy a vessel with any VOLVO engine. My friend has one with 200- hrs on it and he can not keep it running properly. Now he's afraid to take it on any trips. 38 foot 4 years old and because of the poor engineering from Volvo Manufacturing it sits at the docks... lol Way to go VOLVO

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
And NOW! you know why I personally would never buy a vessel with any VOLVO engine. My friend has one with 200- hrs on it and he can not keep it running properly. Now he's afraid to take it on any trips. 38 foot 4 years old and because of the poor engineering from Volvo Manufacturing it sits at the docks... lol Way to go VOLVO
Does he want to trade for a beautiful O’Day 322 with a YANMAR ?

She runs great ; -)

Greg

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
Well, at least you have it narrowed down to the thermostat or bypass. Search grid is getting smaller.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Maybe I'm reading too much into this...however....since the engine used to produce hot water without issue I'm questioning this bulletin as my issue. Not the bulletin itself but that I have an ill-designed coolant bypass. Since that part of the engine has not changed I'm not sure hot it could now be a problem when it had not been for 10+ years. Thanks for the leg-work. This will give me something to discuss with the Power guys.
I was thinking the same thing...... if it worked prior and nothing has changed except a exact replacement of the hot water heater it has to be some other issue. Did you call the hw heater manufacturer??

Greg

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Are you sure there was not a plug in one of the connections? Somtimes they do that to keep dirt and bugs out until installed. Home Garbage disposals come sort of like that on the dishwasher inputs. No dishwasher, the plug stays in. Trust me.

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
Just to be clear, was the engine coolant 116 degrees F after 2 hours of motoring? You stated you "measured the engine temperature".

I agree that you aren’t looking for a design flaw - since the system worked fine before. However, if you drained the system and left it open for awhile, I wouldn't necessarily assume that your thermostat isn't a problem (or any bypass, etc. for that matter); or that nothing has changed. Stuff happens, and sometimes at really strange times.

Start at the engine coolant and work your way toward the new heater systematically eliminating each item. You should be able to find this fairly quickly. If you run the engine for 10-15 minutes and your coolant isn't up to operating temperature, you don't need to look at the water heater or hoses. You have an issue at the engine cooling system. If the engine coolant comes up to operating temperature, start trying to prove flow to the water heater. Once the coolant gets hot, you should be able to feel the supply hose to the water heater getting hot - if you have flow.

If you get to flow being the issue, we'll still respect you if its the shipping plugs.:) I've done worse.

Last edited:

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Are you sure there was not a plug in one of the connections? Somtimes they do that to keep dirt and bugs out until installed. Home Garbage disposals come sort of like that on the dishwasher inputs. No dishwasher, the plug stays in. Trust me.
That’s what I said right up front...... my last hw heater I bought had them and they could easily be missed as they were inserts not caps.

Greg