Hot Water Heater Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dmeadors

I have a Catalina 42. On a recent trip I had no hot water after running the motor for 3 hours. The boat is not overheating. I have checked the thermostat, replaced the radiator cap and checked the heat exchager. I an getting hot coolat flow through the hot water tank. I am getting hot water from the 110V side , thought not as hot as usual. Any suggestions to what the problem could be. It is a Atwood 10.5 gal tank.

Jun 19, 2004
Catalina 387 Hull # 24 Port Charlotte, Florida
There could be a couple other things to look for

Also. Have you disconnected any of the hoses recently that are tied into the system? It could be something as simple as an air lock. Also, have you checked the heat exchanger with the water heater to see if perhaps they may be clogged? Check for good water flow from the engine through the hot water tank and back to the engine. Also, did you run a continuity check on the heating elements in the water heater to see if they are still good?

Like Stu indicated, it may be time for a new water heater if you can't find something to attribute it to :cry: .

D

dmeadors

I checked the flow on the return hose coolant)from the water heater and it was good. I left the electric part of the hot water heater on overnight and it was very hot. I ran it, the motor for about 30 minutes after purging all the hot water from the elecrtic heat up and did not get hot water, and I am not sure that is long enough. I am going to take a motor trip to fuel up one day this week and see if running it for a couple hours produces hot water.

D

Dmeadors

Hot Water Heater

I topped off the coolant and did a pressure test and replaced the radiator cap. I motored for 2.5 3 hours and the hot water tempature went up 50 degrees (45 to 95). My boat runs at around 145 degrees. The tank is 10.5 gallons. Does this seem right. I did not loose any coolant.

Bob V

Mar 13, 2008
Catalina 42mkII Lagoon Point
Engine temp at 145 degrees?

That's pretty low. I also have a C42 and mine runs consistantly at 180 degrees just like the manual says that is should. The "coolest" engine temp that I am aware of is my ex-boat a C350 that would run at 165.

You said that you ran the boat for a couple of hours and the temp in the water heater came up 50 degrees. Given your cool engine temps, this does not seem to be too out of line.

Water heater performance may fall off a bit as the heater ages and scale builds up inside.

A different thermostat may be in order. I wonder if the wrong thermostat was installed at some point by a previous owner.

D

Dmeadors2

Bob,

The thermostat opens at 165 to allow additional coolant to flow into the heat exchanger. The coolant is just not getting hot enough. Some one suggusted I put a restrictor on the seawater side to reduce the cooling effect of the raw water side. Has anyone ever heard of this.

Jun 19, 2004
I'm not sure that I would restrict the water flow coming from the raw make up side (seawater) for fear of damage to the impeller.

What is the water temp of the raw water?

For what it is worth, my hot water tank doesn't get hot water in it from running the engine unless I run it under load and for at least an hour or more. In the late fall and thru the winter and on into spring time, until the water temps rise back up into the mid 60's and up, that heat exchanger just doesn't cut it. But then, I have a 20 gallon tank for it.

Dec 7, 2008
Catalina 42 Norfolk
The Bay water is about 50 degrees. The day I motored to Hampton it was in the 40's (air Temp). Maybe that's the problem. Everything else seems to be working OK so I may put it on hold until spring.

Oct 6, 2007
Catalina 387 Panama City, FL
ITMaster:
I have C387 Hull #33, with the hot water tank under the sink. Where did you mount a 20 Gal hot water tank?? and how?? do you have a website with all the info??

Also, I have very hot water from the engine.
Bill

Nov 10, 2008
Catalina 34 Stingray Harbor
Sea Water Temp

The temp of the sea water should have little effect on the temp of the coolant. The thermostat should open/close to maintain the correct engine temp. When the thermostat is closed, coolant flow through the heat exhanger should be minimum therefore not providing much cooling to the engine. Did you test the thermostat to ensure it is opening at 165? Unless you have an indicator error, the engine should run at about the same temp as the thermostat. My guess is you have a bad thermostat.

Jun 19, 2004
Sorry For Taking So Long

SeaRanch to get back with you. The boat came with it, it is under the sink like yours. The early 387's had a 20 gallon hot water tank, and it wasn't until after mine that enough feed back came in to let the folks down in Largo know that there were problems getting that tank to heat up to a temperature that was satisfactory, especailly up in the colder temp waters like I have. At least, that is what Warren, the plant manager down there told me. So they cut back to, I think, an 11 gallon tank. He offered to exchange mine for the smaller tank, but I really didn't want to give up the 20 gallon size. I supplement my heat exchanger in the winter time with the use of the electric heating element when I am out on the hook in colder weather during late fall and thru the winter into the spring time. Once the water temps get up like I said, then I rely strickly on the heat exchanger to replinish the hot water.
Let me know if you want some pics, you may be able to get one of the larger tanks from Warren if he has any extra ones or exchanges.

Dec 7, 2008
Catalina 42 Norfolk

The temp of the sea water should have little effect on the temp of the coolant. The thermostat should open/close to maintain the correct engine temp. When the thermostat is closed, coolant flow through the heat exhanger should be minimum therefore not providing much cooling to the engine. Did you test the thermostat to ensure it is opening at 165? Unless you have an indicator error, the engine should run at about the same temp as the thermostat. My guess is you have a bad thermostat.

I tested the thermostat and it opened and closed to the specs in the book, 165 start opening, 195 full open and open 10MM

Status
Not open for further replies.