Hot Water Heater Leaking...

Sep 1, 2020
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 52.2 Hollywood, FL
Hello All! My first time posting & I’m hoping for your expertise! My 12gal Raritan hot water heater is leaking into a hose that goes into my bilge. There are no drips or signs of leaking to be found on the outside of the tank. Is there a shut off valve to keep the leaky hot water tank from pulling water from my fresh water pump, it’s running non-stop if I turn the breaker on (& consequently running my bilge pump constantly)?

Jun 14, 2007
Hunter 45cc Florida
Sounds like the pressure relief valve is leaking. Should be a water distribution box that will let you turn off cold water going to heater. Not sure where it is located on your boat

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
My Raritan was doing the same thing last year at this time. After haul out the tank got removed. A giant rust through cancer hole was found on the bottom, The tank had totally failed. Replaced with a Kuuma all aluminum water heater.. Prior to installation, a winter manifold was added to the tank.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
+1 for the pressure relief valve being the likely culprit. Check on the valve and see if it has a lever that has been pulled into the open position.

Some heaters have a shutoff and some do not. If yours doesn’t you could get a water heater bypass kit, usually used for winterizing, to bypass the heater and be able to use cold water while you get the valve sorted.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
The T/P (temperature/Pressure relief valve) sounds to be the problem since many are rigged with the relief plumbed too the bilge. not hard to replace if you can get access to it in the boat.. you'd need a model number and brand to get a replacement.. It also could be a bad thermostat overheating the water and causing the valve to work as designed..

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
My 12gal Raritan hot water heater is leaking into a hose that goes into my bilge.
There is no Raritan heater which has a drain hose. As other said, it’s a pressure relief valve diverted down toward the bilge and these are prone to corrosion and leaking requiring periodic inspection and replacement as part of a routine maintenance task. Just replace it.

Jan 7, 2014
Beneteau 45F5 51551 Port Jefferson
+4 for the pressure relief valve. I think they are pretty standard. 3/4 NPT thread. just make sure you get the correct pressure usually 75lb not the 150lb used in household tanks.

Sep 1, 2020
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 52.2 Hollywood, FL
Thank you all! Tank is toast, so for now I have bypassed the water heater from the pump so we can have running water in the boat until the tank is replaced.