Hot Water Heater HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve Stringer

I just purchased this 82-H30 and need to replace the 6 GAL hot water heater (HWH). In the plans the HWH is shown in the starboard locker. Mine is centered under the cockpit. There seems to be no clearance to remove it without damage to the fiberglass unless I remove the engine. Can someone tell me how/where to remove this HWH? I neeed a replacement HWH with fresh water heat exchanger. Any recommendations? H30 OWNERS: Is your HWH centered under the cockpit right in front of the fuel tank? Thanks, Steve

T

Tim

removal is easy...

You get a sawz-all and cut it up. The problem is getting the new one in. I have no clue on that. On my 1981 H30 its in the same place.

R

Roland

Hot H2O

There has been much written in other forums regarding the replacement of the hot water heaters on the h30. I have a 30','77h and the heater is located in the forward part of the starboard lazzerette. The heater was placed in before the deck was put on and the lazzerette opening is smaller than the heater. When the time comes for replacement, it will require cutting up the old heater and installing a new rectangular heater that will fit through the lazzerette opening. I don't see an option that is any easier. Roland S/V Fraulein II

P

pat/shadowfox

water heater

Steve, I removed my water heater due to it's leaking.I have a 1983-30, & the heater is located midship,forward of the fuel tank.I choose not to put in another water heater ,but the flat retangular one at West marine would easily fit.I had to cut the old one out,which let's you bleed alot if your careless. Pat/Shadowfox

M

Mike Layman

Hot Water Heater Removal

I just replaced mine 2 weeks ago on my 1981 H30. First: removed all fittings including heater element, second: used a hack saw and cut the sheet metal skin off the HWH, third: turned it on its side then kicked it out the starboard opening into the lazertte, fourth: bought a 2.5 gal HWH at Home Depot that goes in and fits nicely. Took about four hours with only one small wound. The new small size is nice because it heats quickly and draws a little less amperage that the old 6 gal one that did not work and was severly rusted.

P

Paul Harmina

Getting blood stains off of fiberglass

I solved the problem of hot water heater removal as we never had used it. When in a marina, we had great showers to use with all the hot water we wanted for showering and washing dishes. When on the hook you cann't used the heater anyway. So, I cut it up, cut me up, removed it and gained lots of storage space. Now, can anyone tell me a good way to remove blood stains from my fiberglass. Just proves the old adage-solving one problem usually creates another one.

G

Greg Stebbins

Blood stains off.....

You can remove blood stains with Fiberglass Hull Cleaner from West marine. It will also remove bird crap stains (it's an acid wash) and all other organic based blemishes. Greg 23 Faster

J

Joe Ciccone

Almost endless Hot H2O

Steve, My 81 H-30 has water heater in same location. Hunter factory said only way to remove is with sawzal as heater was installed before deck was placed. You might consider using this space for additional fresh water bladder tank and add on demand propane heater in the head or aft starboard laz. Of course you need propane locker for gas tank and plenty of ventilation in the water heater location. You also have option of replacement electric water heater but than you need to be near 110v to power heater. Am guessing that your Diesel is raw water cooled and discharge side won't provide enough heat for water heaters with heat exchangers. Good Luck with your project. Joe Ciccone Oriental, NC

Status
Not open for further replies.