Hot Water Heater and Salt Water

Nov 10, 2018
S2 9.2a Marblehead, Massachusetts
Need some advice. The old The Raritan hot water heater on my boat has given up the ghost. It has only been hooked to shore power to operate. That's because my engine is a 39 year old Yanmar 2QM15 that I estimate has around 500 hours on it. It starts and runs smoothly. It has raw water cooling and for me that means salt water. I don't want a new engine. Is there a way that I can replace the hot water heater with a unit that will allow me to use the hot salt water from my engine? Anode?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
There are water heaters with stainless and glass internal piping that may be able to combine with your hot salt water.

I suspect you should be asking this question of the water heater manufacturers.

Nov 10, 2018
There are water heaters with stainless and glass internal piping that may be able to combine with your hot salt water.

I suspect you should be asking this question of the water heater manufacturers.
believe me I have tried.

Oct 22, 2014
I do but with which company? I would look to a company like "Quick", "Torrid", "Isotherm", or maybe "Kuma". These tend to be the higher end of the market than Seaward, so they may be able to help you. Would think that a fishing boat might be likely to have a motor that is sea water cooled. A marina that services fishing boats might be able to help.

Here is a link I have used in the past.
https://stevedmarineconsulting.com/water-heater-primer/

Nov 10, 2018
Lots more digging and I found an installation manual for Isotemp water heaters and it says this.
"
3.3 Connections to Engine

Isotemp water heaters may be used with either fresh water or raw water-cooled engines. For good results an operating temperature of 130°F to 165°F is recommended."

Oct 22, 2014
That would be the target for your engine thermostat. Should work.