Hot Water Alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul F

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 1980 - 33 Bradenton
Seen a few posts on here about hot water heaters. Found this at the city marina fuel dock bathroom, a long way from shore. They installed this Ariston 4.0 Gallon water heater to solve the hot water problem for the bathroom. It looks like it may solve some boater hot water replacement or add-on problems too. It is only A/C power but likely a small generator or inverter could handle it. The size is 14"X14"X12" easy to fit into a corner of the boat.

Attachments

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
I don't see the advantage. How is this any different than a force 10, raritan or isotemp that already has a 110v heating element?

Bob V

Mar 13, 2008
Catalina 42mkII Lagoon Point
another disadvantage

would be no storage tank. The 6 gal or 11 gal water heaters usually found in boats can keep the water hot for about 12 hours after you unplug or turn off the diesel. That's no small electrical load either. If your inverter is big enough to handle it, I hope you have a lot of batteries.

Now if you want continuous hot water with capacity for long hot showers just pull out the electric and replace with a hydronic diesel powered system. Now that's hot. Mine has 6 gallons worth of finned tubing running through the heat exchanger so you have capacity to keep it warm after the burner turns off and with the burner running it heats the water faster than the shower can drain it. Always uniform temperature because it is controlled with a automatic thermostat to keep from scalding.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Re: another disadvantage

Water heaters of some sort are essential in our lives But the more converiently they supply hot water the more we will use. Consequently we must either carry more water or have a means to make it. The net result is still more power consumption or a heavier boat because of tankage.

John

Jun 3, 2006
Catalina 36mkII Alameda CA
Hot water on a boat?

Water heaters of some sort are essential in our lives But the more converiently they supply hot water the more we will use. Consequently we must either carry more water or have a means to make it. The net result is still more power consumption or a heavier boat because of tankage.
What do you need hot water on a boat for? I only need to shower once every six months, after all! :eek:

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
What do you need hot water on a boat for? I only need to shower once every six months, after all! :eek:
Somebody has to make tea!

Status
Not open for further replies.