Hot controller

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Hi all,

We installed a new controller for our wind generator and during a recent blow I kept track of some temperatures on the controller. My solar controllers heat to 110 degrees Fahrenheit during a sunny day while the wind generator controller got to 160 degrees before applying the brake during some gusts to about 40 kts. The designs are different in that the wind controller has fins to dump heat. The question is can I add a micro-fan to the controller to dissipate some of that heat or add some kind of dump? I’d like it to keep charging while the wind is blowing.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Hi all,

We installed a new controller for our wind generator and during a recent blow I kept track of some temperatures on the controller. My solar controllers heat to 110 degrees Fahrenheit during a sunny day while the wind generator controller got to 160 degrees before applying the brake during some gusts to about 40 kts. The designs are different in that the wind controller has fins to dump heat. The question is can I add a micro-fan to the controller to dissipate some of that heat or add some kind of dump? I’d like it to keep charging while the wind is blowing.
I have no experience with wind generators but I can't help but wonder if the issue might be amperage as well has heat. If you find a way to cool the controller, will you be pushing to many amps into the battery in a short amount of time?

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I would contact the manufacturers. 160 degrees sounds overly hot to me.