Hoses

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2007
Hunter 37 cutter Blind River
Besides the stink factor, what are the differences between rubber sanitation hose (Trident premium), wet exhaust hose (not carrying exhaust gasses) and premium rubber water hose? All are designed to take pressure.
Other than stink, is there any reason they are not interchangeable?

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Ten years ago I took Peggie's advice and installed the best hose at the time. It was hard to bend and harder to get on the barbs. I don't know what is de rigueur these days. But if you could invent a hose that was flexible, easily went on and off the barbs, and could last ten years of flushs, you would be a millionaire.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
They've already done what you're asking for...

Inline radius fittings have been around for decades. If the hose doesn't want to bend that much CUT IT!! and use one of 'em. And/or, if the discharge fitting on the toilet is a straight, but you really need a 90 (or vice versa), CALL THE BLOOMIN' mfr and get the 90 (or the straight fitting)!!

As for getting it on and off the fittings easily...ever heard of a blow dryer (or a heat gun IF you really know what you're doing with one)??? Heating a hose makes it SOOO much easier to get off a fitting and also ONTO a fitting...

Sheesh, Ed...HOW many years have I been here, preaching to the same choir--who, if YOU'RE any example, hasn't paid the slightest attention to anything I've ever said!

So I'm going home now....

May 21, 2009
Hunter 30 Smithfield, VA
Now now Peggy, first thing Ed said was he followed your advice and replaced his hoses. Credit where credit is due. Besides, you know we men don't like to ask for directions.

Jun 2, 2004
That's a funny rant since I did EXACTLY what you told me to do ten years ago EXCEPT for one thing. Back then you warned against a heat gun. Way too hot you said, it would compromise the hose. But I did use a heat gun. I would never have gotten those hoses on the fitting without one.

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
She's not called the HeadMistress for nothing!

Ed, careful - you will get 10 lashes with an old sanitation hose for talking back.

Seriously though, I agree with both of you - heat gun is the way to go, used in moderation. My rule of thumb is not to heat any plastic hose up hot enough for it to burn my hand when fitting it :eek:

I wonder if Peggy would like to comment on inline radius (radii?) joints as a potential clog point? It seems to me it makes sense to use one length if possible to cut down on the number of "internal ridges" in the line.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
It was meant to be funny...

Glad at least one person thought it was!

Unless the plumbing line is so convoluted that a whole bunch of fittings are needed, inline radii are a lot less likely to cause problems than heating a hose to make it bend tighter than it wants to bend. Ed wants a soft hose...but while a soft hose is easier to bend and goes onto fittings more easily, bending it too tight will cause this (see photo).

As for a heat gun, I prefer a blow dryer in the hands of anyone who isn't skilled in using a heat gun...takes a little longer, but a lot less likely to "cook" the hose.

Attachments

Jun 2, 2004
Peggy, you recommend a hair dryer because you have always lived below the M-D line. Up here we do our work on the hard(literally) in the winter. You can't warm your hands with a hair dryer. Other than that I have always treated your advice as gospel.
And I really like your avatar, so innocent once.

Jan 21, 2009
Catalina 30 Lake Perry, KS
Hose fitting help

I read this somewhere that may help with making sanitation hose fit on the fittings/barbs. Go to an Auto Zone or Advance auto store that lends tools. Ask for a tailpipe expander. Heat up the hose a bit and crank away. Haven't tried it but it is supposed to remove the angst from installation. If somebody tries it, let us know the results.

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 27_75-84 welaka fl
Re: Hose fitting help

I've always had good luck with heating a pan of water to boiling and sticking end in. Of course there may be times when you can't get pan in the right position.

May 31, 2007
Hunter 37 cutter Blind River
I posted the original question because I had a whole bunch of hose types at my disposal and was redoing all the plumbing on the engine. From tranny cooler to exhaust elbow the original had two major kinks. I installed a vented loop, a water lock muffler and raised the strainer. So the question more specifically was to find out if Trident head hose could be used on the raw water circulation system of the engine. In what way is it different from their hose marked premium water hose. I think they are the same pressure hose but one has an anti-stink membrane.
Any more info re the hose attributes appreciated.

Jun 2, 2004
Geez Bill, this long thread has been no help at all. We all thought you were working on head plumbing. I would not begin to advise on your real question. I might call Trident but isn't head hose too big for raw water intake? What I would really do is just go buy what is made for that purpose, regular black water hose. Here's a Don Casey article: http://www.boatus.com/boattech/mhos.htm .

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Ever tried one?

Peggy, you recommend a hair dryer because you have always lived below the M-D line. Up here we do our work on the hard(literally) in the winter. You can't warm your hands with a hair dryer. Other than that I have always treated your advice as gospel.
I can burn my scalp with blow dryer on high heat if I hold it in the same place more than a few seconds, so I dunno why you can't use one to warm up the end of a hose. And btw, I have not always lived in the South...unless you consider MI to be a southern state.

Ed Schenck;750421And I really like your avatar said:
I think you're the first to notice it, Ed! I found that photo while cleaning out boxes of memorabilia I'd brought home from my parents' house...according to the date on the back, I was a couple of months shy of 3 years old when it was taken...and haven't changed a bit in 65 years. :D

Jun 2, 2004
Actually Peggy there has always been a hair dryer on the boat, price for being married. And it is what I tried first, before the heat gun. But almost ten years with the Cricket, the Ronco, and those Sealand hoses. And never a flush or pumpout problem, even with lots of ladies aboard. So thanks. But Michigan! Boo, go Bucks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.