Hoses in the wall

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
Replacing head hoses on my 410 and while the boat was partially torn apart I found two 3/4" hoses behind the head that appear to come down from the deck. They are not connected to anything. It looks like they may go to the stanchion which means they are probably for vents. I have not removed the stanchion to check.
Has anyone found similar unconnected hoses in the head area?

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
Sounds like stanchion vents, but 3/4 is also the size of a common marine head intake.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
But why would a toilet intake line be coming down from the deck? I'm also wondering if the hoses really are 3/4"...'cuz although it's the INNER diameter of a hose that determines its nominal size, it's not uncommon for boat owners to make the mistake of using the outer diameter...in which case they'd most likely be 1/2" or 5/8" hoses.

As for they're being vent lines intended to into stanchions, Catalina is the only production builder I know of who's ever done that. It's easy to check: no need to remove any stanchions...any air being pushed into a stanchion has to be able to escape and air being pulled in has to come from outside the stanchion...so just look for holes or slits at the bottom of the AFT side of the stanchions from which those hoses appear to be coming.

--Peggie

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
But why would a toilet intake line be coming down from the deck? I'm also wondering if the hoses really are 3/4"...'cuz although it's the INNER diameter of a hose that determines its nominal size, it's not uncommon for boat owners to make the mistake of using the outer diameter...in which case they'd most likely be 1/2" or 5/8" hoses.

As for they're being vent lines intended to into stanchions, Catalina is the only production builder I know of who's ever done that. It's easy to check: no need to remove any stanchions...any air being pushed into a stanchion has to be able to escape and air being pulled in has to come from outside the stanchion...so just look for holes or slits at the bottom of the AFT side of the stanchions from which those hoses appear to be coming.

--Peggie
I never said they were toilet intake lines. They have nothing to do with the toilet. Further, my Hunter has stanchion vents for the water tanks. I know that for a fact.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I'll take a chance here: anti-syphon loop?
"...not connected to anything."

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I'll take a chance here: anti-syphon loop?
"...not connected to anything."
That's a very good guess ...'cuz an intake vented loop would need two 3/4" hoses and would have to be 2-3' above the bowl to keep it at least 6-8" above waterline at max heel on most sailboats, and would be installed between the pump and the bowl (see installation instructions for your toilet). But they should be going UP from the toilet, not hanging down from the deck...so maybe not.
--Peggie

JamesG161

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I assume you are talking about the Main Head and not the forward head.

They may be an abandoned high point head vent.
If you can force air in one end and it comes out the other line, you can tell if my guess is right.

Put it bluntly, the head high point vents are very hard to maintain.
It is not easy to use the Head when on a sailing heel, when the high point vent its needed.
Jim...

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
I assume you are talking about the Main Head and not the forward head.

They may be an abandoned high point head vent.
If you can force air in one end and it comes out the other line, you can tell if my guess is right.

Put it bluntly, the head high point vents are very hard to maintain.
It is not easy to use the Head when on a sailing heel, when the high point vent its needed.
Jim...
You win the prize! Old loop. Tried the air in one and it came out the other hose. Thanks! Not using them but will leave them be.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Unless your toilet(s) are well above waterline, you're gonna need a vented loop in the intake 'cuz without one, there's nothing to prevent water from flooding--and overflowing--the toilet if it's left in the wet mode with the seacock open. Don't say it can't happen, humans are fallible. The hoses going to that one are 3/4", which would make it the necessary inlet loop....all you'd need to do is connect one end to the pump and the other end to the spud on the back of the bowl.

--Peggie

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
Unless your toilet(s) are well above waterline, you're gonna need a vented loop in the intake 'cuz without one, there's nothing to prevent water from flooding--and overflowing--the toilet if it's left in the wet mode with the seacock open. Don't say it can't happen, humans are fallible. The hoses going to that one are 3/4", which would make it the necessary inlet loop....all you'd need to do is connect one end to the pump and the other end to the spud on the back of the bowl.

--Peggie
Fresh water electric head.

JamesG161

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
You didn't put your lips on it, did you?
Note: I carefully worded my suggestion of "forcing air in".:laugh:
I have a mini shop vac that can push or pull air too.

I also keep disposable latex gloves on board, that with a finger cut out, works well.:pimp:
Jim...

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
In that case, you won't need the loop after all. If a PO upgraded from a sea water head, those lines may have been left over then. What's it's make/model/age? Or is it new?

--Peggie
Raritan Atlantes. About 7 years old. While everything is apart, should I replace any items on it?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Great toilet! It's a good idea to put a rebuild kit in it about every 5-6 years. However, there are a couple of versions of it, including two versions of the Atlantes Freedom Each needs its own rebuild kit and I'm not sure when each was introduced. There should be a tag inside that's only accessible from the back that identifies it. Since you're replacing hoses, hopefully you've already moved it away from the wall. If you can't get to it, take photos of the flush handle and anything else that's distinctive to each version. Then get on the phone 1st thing Monday morning to give Jerry Amari in tech support a call to help you ID which kit you need: 800-352-5630 x 236
--Peggie

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
Note: I carefully worded my suggestion of "forcing air in".:laugh:
I have a mini shop vac that can push or pull air too.

I also keep disposable latex gloves on board, that with a finger cut out, works well.:pimp:
Jim...
My go to is the dingy foot pump. Engine overheated when a wake hit our boat last time out. After checking the usual suspects removed the hose from the water pump and pushed air back thru everything through the thru hull with the dingy foot pump. It worked. Water flowing again and on our way.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
Great toilet! It's a good idea to put a rebuild kit in it about every 5-6 years. However, there are a couple of versions of it, including two versions of the Atlantes Freedom Each needs its own rebuild kit and I'm not sure when each was introduced. There should be a tag inside that's only accessible from the back that identifies it. Since you're replacing hoses, hopefully you've already moved it away from the wall. If you can't get to it, take photos of the flush handle and anything else that's distinctive to each version. Then get on the phone 1st thing Monday morning to give Jerry Amari in tech support a call to help you ID which kit you need: 800-352-5630 x 236
--Peggie
I miss spoke. It is a Marine Elegance. Still a rebuild kit is probably in order.