Hoses from somewhere going nowhere.

mjsb

Jan 28, 2021
Hunter 31 0 TSS, Apollo Beach FL
I have (2) 3/4" hoses that are sitting underneath my Yanmar 2GM20F on a Hunter 31. They are not hooked up to anything that I can see and when I have 'checked' them out as they come out of the starboard side engine bulkhead through a rubber gasket. There seems to be hydraulic fluid in them, sorry no taste test, but it is reddish and slightly oily. So any ideas.

Panera

Jan 18, 2014
Hunter 280 Portland, ME
Probably going to the water heater. Standard arrangement. Filled with normal engine antifreeze.

May 19, 2020
Hunter 30-2 Quincy
Definitely sounds like the lines for a water heater. Do you have hot water when underway?

mjsb

Jan 28, 2021
Definitely sounds like the lines for a water heater. Do you have hot water when underway?
No, no hotter except in the engine. hot Water is when we are at the dock connected to 120AC.

May 19, 2020
Hunter 30-2 Quincy
I would suspect a leak in the heat exchanger somewhere and a previous owner just removed the HX from the circuit rather than replace the heater.
A picture would be worth a thousand words here.

mjsb

Jan 28, 2021
I would suspect a leak in the heat exchanger somewhere and a previous owner just removed the HX from the circuit rather than replace the heater.
A picture would be worth a thousand words here.
Well, finally got picture, good luck on answer.
1636854626531.png

May 19, 2020
Hunter 30-2 Quincy
99% certainty that runs under the cabin sole to your water heater. Any chance you have a photo of the front of the engine to confirm? They should attach in the area of the thermostat (top of the accessory belt)

mjsb

Jan 28, 2021
99% certainty that runs under the cabin sole to your water heater. Any chance you have a photo of the front of the engine to confirm? They should attach in the area of the thermostat (top of the accessory belt)
Here is a view from the front of the engine. Also an Overhead shot.

Attachments

May 19, 2020
Hunter 30-2 Quincy
Good job with the photos, showed exactly what I wanted.
You might have an extra temperature sender for whatever reason.
Your mystery hoses were definitely for the water heater. Someone plugged the inlet and outlet, removing it from the loop. I can't tell you why, maybe they just never used it but I would suspect your water heater is done for and rather than replace it the previous owner just eliminated it from the circuit.
I've attached two diagrams, showing the old and new fresh water pumps. The new one shows which serial numbers it applies to. You'll be able to easily figure out the correct way to set up the supply and return lines again with it. Not sure what to say about that extra temp sensor though, it might need some investigation.
Also included a photo I found online - while I absolutely don't condone the hard pipe used there due to vibration issues it shows the supply and return attached.

Attachments

• Helpful

mjsb

Jan 28, 2021
Good job with the photos, showed exactly what I wanted.
You might have an extra temperature sender for whatever reason.
Your mystery hoses were definitely for the water heater. Someone plugged the inlet and outlet, removing it from the loop. I can't tell you why, maybe they just never used it but I would suspect your water heater is done for and rather than replace it the previous owner just eliminated it from the circuit.
I've attached two diagrams, showing the old and new fresh water pumps. The new one shows which serial numbers it applies to. You'll be able to easily figure out the correct way to set up the supply and return lines again with it. Not sure what to say about that extra temp sensor though, it might need some investigation.
Also included a photo I found online - while I absolutely don't condone the hard pipe used there due to vibration issues it shows the supply and return attached.
Thank you, I put the sending unit in when I replaced the fresh water pump and replaced all the hoses. The temperature gauge was also replaced, so now I have a separate sending unit for the gauge and the alarm. The present water heater was only setup for shore power, so the piping coming out of the bulkhead was in question.
Don’t know if I’ll reinstall a water heater on the engine, thinking more in line of a small tankless that would run on propane.