Hood Roller 810 Furling replacement?

Apr 27, 2015
Hunter 27 Saco
Hi
I just launched my 1989 Catalina 30 that I purchase last fall with the sea trial scheduled next week. After hauling stepping and while putting the sails on I discovered that the Hood 818 roller furling is seized and after talking with the manufacturer, concluded that it cannot be repaired. A new roller furling is $1,500 to $3,000 plus install, but I now have the additional expense of 3 hauling/stepping At $1,000 each or $3,000. This is not a good way to start the sailing season in Maine :-(. Any suggestions on how to solve this problem? Thanks!
Rick

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
a few years ago practical sailor tested a bunch of furlers and found them all fine and equal except the cdi which they liked less. maybe in the passing years things have changed but i wouldn't stake my money on it.

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
Cdi system on my boat been functional for 8 years with no issues

Nov 10, 2015
Hunter 336 Columbia, SC
Hi Rick, sorry to hear of your bad luck with the roller furler! I find it hard to believe that it cannot be repaired. Can you post some pictures? There are some pretty sharp guys and girls here and I believe there may be a solution!

Apr 27, 2015
Hunter 27 Saco
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. Based on them I confirmed that a haul out will not be necessary and that a rigger can do the work. Below is the unit that I have separated; the lower end has a set of bearings in it that allows it to stay in place while a single continuous feed rope furls the jib. It has seized. Yesterday, per Hood recommendations I detached the lower portion of the furling and placed it in a large hot soapy bucket of water overnight. I will see what happens this morning when I go back on the boat. The second picture is the plasitic bolt that allows you to take the drive unit of the furling; it broke off when I put the allen wrench to it shortly after taking the picture.

IMG_0543.JPG
IMG_0544.JPG

Nov 10, 2015
Hunter 336 Columbia, SC
Ok, thanks for the pictures. So how high is the drum off the deck? A plastic bolt/set screw to remove the drum? Seems like a poor design, but what do I know. Good luck, I'm glad Hood is cooperating, their hot soapy water trick seems lame(they've done this before) but perhaps it will work! Good luck, you need to get sailing! I used to sail on Cape Cod and the season is short!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Your issue appears to be bearings siezed. Is the hood a sealed bearing system?
If so the soap bath and rinse may free up years of dirt, grime, and junk accumilated in the closed but not fully sealed system. Did Hood tell you the type of bearings used? I know my ProFurler is not servicable but your hood just might be.

Apr 27, 2015
Hunter 27 Saco
I got the drive unit off and yes it is seized and no amount of dawn/oil soaking is going to bring it back to life. The manual states that the unit should be sent back for repair and not to attempt to dissemble bearing tube. However, while Hood continues to offer parts, they no longer service this drive unit.

Feb 2, 2006
Hunter Legend 35 Kingston
The diagrams are pretty low res, but you should be able to take it apart to some degree. The bearings may be modular or sealed units, but no harm in taking it apart to examine if yo might replace anyway.

I have a 810 as well, and have been able to get parts, though never the bearing at the bottom.

Chris

Attachments

gfroch

Jun 5, 2004
Catalina 30 Rochester, NY
I purchased a Cat 30 TR last year with the same Profurl unit and same seizing problem. Hood also told me that it was most likely past it's usable life. I switched to the CDI and so far very happy. I have had CDI on my last 2 boats going back 16 years. The final kicker came when I asked my local rigger. He could have sold me a much more expensive unit, but HIS favorite is the CDI.

Nov 3, 2016
Catalina 30 Destin
I know this thread goes back several years but can anyone help? My 810 Hood system is sticking when I roll in the headsail. Suggestions for parts and what is the soaking the drum in the soapy water...thanks all...

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
There are other more recent threads, including one I started in March. Some parts (but not all ) are still available. Contact Pompanette in Tampa, FL. Ask for Marti, she knows all.