Honda Generator and CO

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob Caraway

When you use a generator, what do you do to protect against CO fumes? Where do you place your generator while running?

K

Karl

Gassed.

By a CO detector. Place the generator downwind from the cabin and point the exhaust away from the boat. This could mean up near the bow pulpit or on the swim platform on the stern. You could even add an extended exhaust pipe (detachable)?

Aug 3, 2005
Morgan 33 O/I Green Cove Springs FL
It just ain't a water taxi ;)

Ahoy Bob; I stick my Honda EU2000 in my dinghy. No noise from vibration and no problems with CO. Well unless I fall asleep in the thing, but I am usually lost anywho. Fair Winds Cap'n Dave

J

Jeff Miller

cheap carbon monoxide detector

Find someone you really don't like and convince tham to stay on your boat after you unplug your CO meter. Tell them the AC won't work unlesss the generator is on and definitely close the hatches. Call your lawyer

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 306 Apalachicola, FL
Install CO detectors before you buy the gen.

Make sure you have working CO detectors onboard before you even think of using a portable generator. Our 2004 Hunter 306 came with 3 CO detectors installed. One in each of the cabins. We place the generator on the swim platform with the exhaust pointing away from the boat. Even with the generator in this position, there is a considerable amount of fumes that collect under the bimini and behind the dodger. I believe that this is due to the low pressure area that is created by the wind flowing around the dodger when at anchor. As long as we keep the hatches closed, we have never had any of the CO detectors go off. Test your configuration during the day; before you go to bed. Placing the generator in the dinghy sounds like a great idea, but we have a roll up Zodiac dinghy with a slated floor. I’m not sure that we could get the generator into and out off the dinghy without a lot of trouble and the exhaust creates a lot of heat. It still gets very hot 3 to 4 feet away from the muffler. It could possible damage the dinghy. With my luck, I could see a situation where I go above to see why the generator quit running and discover that the exhaust has burned a hole in the dinghy. Both dinghy and generator are on their way to the bottom.

Feb 9, 2004
- - -
Portable gensets

Use a quality CO2 detector - very important! Where to place a portable generator while running? I like the bow - it's easy to access in a hurry and sits away from the cockpt. Remember to secure it to the foredeck. Have fun! Trevor

A

Anchor Down

Common Sense

If the thing is outside, there should be no problem. C0 has to be relatively concentrated to be lethal, and there are warning signs long before that happens. As long as you have fresh air to breath, the tiny bit of C0 that you might inhale is not going to be a problem. C0's lethality comes from the fact that it will bind to the hemoglobin in your blook more readily than oxygen, taking oxygen's place in your bloodstream, and therefore denying it to your body. But there has to ba a steady supply, because you breath it out, just like CO2. One whiff takes the circulatory ride through your system, but won't kill you. All the reports of suffocation you will read about involving C0 will involve closed cabins (usually with heaters and sleeping occupants) without ventilation that let the CO concentration rise to unhealthy levels. Even heaters that give off carbon monoxide are safe to use in your cabin, if adequate ventilation is arranged. The first safety device is your nose. Since a generator is going to run on a petroleum-based fuel, the unburned hydrocarbons in the exhaust will give it an unpleasant smell, and you can use this as a guide. Any place you are not discomforted with the smell of exhaust fumes is plenty well-ventilated. The next safety device is your brain. The most predominant symptom of building CO in your blood is a driving headache, resulting from your brain not getting the oxygen it needs. Mountain climbers experience the same oxygen-deprived headaches. This is a sign to get to fresh air. CO meters are valuable, but I daresay the only time you'll hear one go off is when an exhaust leak from you engine raises the CO level in the cabin/salon/engine room (wherever it is mounted). I don't see how it would ever go off if you just had your generator humming along on the cabintop, unless there was absolutely no wind whatsoever. Putting the gen. anywhere before the mast is plenty of precaution. Put it to one side of the cabin trunk, then sitting on the opposite bench in the cockpit, and you'll never even smell it.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Not quite true...

You said, "All the reports of suffocation you will read about involving C0 will involve closed cabins (usually with heaters and sleeping occupants) without ventilation that let the CO concentration rise to unhealthy levels." Unfortunately, that's not true. From an article in the BOAT/U.S. Insurance publication "Seaworthy" (you can read the whole thing at http://www.boatus.com/seaworthy/carbonmonoxide.asp ) "CO can enter a cabin from many different sources, according to the claim files: from a hot water heater; from a galley stove; from the "station wagon effect"-exhaust from the boat's exhaust; from a generator; and even from other nearby boats. There have also been several injuries from people swimming under swim platforms when an engine or generator was being operated." Boat cabins aren't airtight...and on a hot still night when there is no breeze at all, CO can evelope a boat and enter a cabin through above waterline thru-hulls and hatches. There are a number of articles about the dangers of CO on a boat, even in the cockpit. Here are a couple...a google search for "carbon monoxide boats" will turn up a bunch more: http://www.hawaii.gov/dlnr/dbor/bor_cohzrd.htm http://www.wakeworld.com/articles/2003/co.asp Generators are a wonderful convenience...I wouldn't want to be without one (I'd have no way to run the blender!) and all my boats for the past 20 years have had gasoline powered factory installed gensets and central heat/ac. But even in the Georgia summer heat, I NEVER ran 'em overnight while sleeping...only when I was up and awake, and only with at least two hatches slightly open. And even then, I paid VERY close attention what my body was telling me. CO detectors are essential, but they're not a replacement for caution and common sense, nor are they guaranteed never to fail. If it's too hot and muggy to sleep below with fans running (you'd be amazed what a difference a couple of 6" 12v oscillating fans can make), go home...don't put your life in the hands of a piece of inexpensive equipment. Btw, Trevor...you want the portable generator to be DOWNWIND of you, so that exhaust flows away from the boat. That means putting it on the swim platform or wherever the AFTmost place you can when you're at anchor...not the foredeck where any breeze will send the exhaust back to cockpit.

Jun 16, 2005
- - long beach, CA
generator

Geez, you all sound like a bunch of lawyers and paranoids. CO detectors and articles by an insurance company! Point the exhaust away from you! Take a break! Put the generator on the bow; it only runs for about an hour a day, anyway.

Dec 2, 2003
Catalina 350 Seattle
Dangerous Advice!

Nearly everything that Anchor Down said below is incorrect at the least, and life threatening dangerous at the worst! Pay absolutely NO ATTENTION to any of the advice in that posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.