Honda BF50 constantly dies

anduff

Sep 8, 2021
Macgregor 26X Rudees Inlet
Just purchased a MacG 26x with a Honda BF50 outboard. Took it out a few times motoring only while we worked out getting the mast up and all the sails/rigging squared away.

The motor has been hit or miss if it is going to work. We followed guides and manuals and its operation has been significantly improved but still has some faults. To note, it used to die while idling and also shake badly while idling. Both have been corrected through raising idle and synching carbs. Now it idles great at 1k rpm when warmed up with no shake.

When we put it into gear, it often dies if it’s given throttle with any sort of speed - it has to be slowly coaxed to forward idle and from there has about 2” of play before it’ll start throttling up… and then it will just jump up from forward idle to way too fast for a no wake zone. It makes coming into the docks a cheek clenching ordeal - dying and coming awfully close to $$$ sport fishers or coming in way too hot because it died while trying to get into reverse. From WOT down to slower speeds, it seems to track with what you would expect - little lower, little slower - until that area of play where the slightest adjustment is fast or nothing and on a delay from when you move the lever.

Similarly, the fast idle lever really only seems to do anything all the way up. If I lower it a little, it’s like I’ve dropped it completely. Throttle on the motor just drops to idle position and won’t open back up unless I pull fast idle all the way to the top. That can’t be normal, right?

Does this sound like a throttle cable issue from the remote control to the motor? PO did have it out of the water for 10 years, so I’m thinking the cable may have just given way or stretched way out.

Happy to provide add’l details to narrow down what can be the cause.

Thank you all!

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Take the cover off and observe how the throttle cable moves the throttle - this should tell you whether the cable is the problem.
From your description and the fact that the engine sat for 10 years, I would suspect the carburetors need a thourough cleaning. The carbs can be put in an ultrasonic cleaner to get everything loosened up - use compressed air to blow out the jets and passageways.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Yup.. I think it sounds like a carburetor problem too.. Usually requires pulling the carbs and going through a thorough cleaning ..

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
... and once you get it working again only use ethanol free gas. I always run my engines dry at the dock by pulling the fuel line with the motor running. I let it burn out while I put away my lines and other such things...