Honda 9.9 on a Catalina 22

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
I don't think anyone mentioned it, but I'm pretty sure a 9.9 Honda Four is about double the price of a Tohatsu 6Hp Sailpro.

ilance

May 19, 2017
Catalina 22 Medford, Or
We boat kids were kinda the terrors of the marina......once we discovered that we could lock the motors straight and steer from the center or the bow of our dinghies......bad imagination took over.

We played "jousting" with oars.......had races by steering with body lean.....all kinds of fun things. This one noob (that wasn't a liveaboard, but we let him hang because he had a sweet Mercury twin!) once bailed out of his boat, instead of doing the "sensible" thing and cutting the throttle.

His boat went directly into the side of a big old wooden lumber schooner the marina used as a breakwater. (Google "Wawona".......she had a cool story.)

This led to no real damage to the lumber schooner......of course. However, the unweighted dinghy rode up in the bow until it actually ran the motor underwater, swamped, and sunk.

The coolest and fastest motor we kids had access to was lost that day......it died the ignoble death of water intake and bent rods.......we groveled the local King County Sheriff guys into diving on it so we could at least save the boat. (They were incredibly tolerant of our dangerous but wholesome shenanigans.......though they DID chew us out, tell our parents, and prohibit "jousting" in the future.

Miraculously, I think we all managed to survive to adulthood......but "safety" was such an alien concept to us all. :)

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
@ilance

EDIT: damn enter key posted the incomplete msg instead of simply a <newline>?

:thumbup: to those antics as a kid.

I can truly relate. I did more than few fun things as a kid that would raise eyebrows among the younger parents today.

Safety was usually on my mind, especially with some of the stuff I did.
No internet.. but we had an encyclopedia to foster all sorts of ideas.
Calculated risk, was my moto. Still is.
I used to do pyrotechnics professionally, and only had one close call in decades of shows, because of that mindset. And the only risk that time was to myself.

Unfortunately there may always be a buddy with a tad less judgment.

dangerous but wholesome shenanigans
Yup. We sure as heck would never consider intentionally damaging or hurting someone.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I was just gonna be cheesy and have a couple offset bungee snubbers. I've used this before on outboards.......holds it straight, where I set it, and I can still push it to turn.
That's what I had to resort to. It's a great motor in every other way, but the "friction lock" (or lack thereof) is garbage.

Personally, I would never use a locking bracket. There are far too many times I need to reach back there and turn the motor to make the boat turn sharply when coming in and out of marina slips, boat ramps, etc.