Honda 2200 vs 1000 noise comparison

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
It's not a matter of intelligence, it's a matter of the way boats were made and equipped in the past, and human nature. My 1984 Catalina 36 didn't have a sniffer, and I never felt the need to add one. I would usually shut the solenoid off and watch the flame go out, as a matter of habit. My new boat has a Fireboy-Xintex propane/CNG Fume Detector with Solenoid Valve Control, and I said "great! Now I have a sniffer!" It would not have occurred to me to install one. I guess it's the same for most people. Maybe we should conduct a poll on this site.
I agree. And it’s not just old boats. Our 2014 Beneteau also came with a solenoid but no alarm.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
It's not a matter of intelligence, it's a matter of the way boats were made and equipped in the past, and human nature. My 1984 Catalina 36 didn't have a sniffer, and I never felt the need to add one. I would usually shut the solenoid off and watch the flame go out, as a matter of habit. My new boat has a Fireboy-Xintex propane/CNG Fume Detector with Solenoid Valve Control, and I said "great! Now I have a sniffer!" It would not have occurred to me to install one. I guess it's the same for most people. Maybe we should conduct a poll on this site.
We just switched from electric to propane and we installed two. Wouldn't use the stove without one, but we have all the hatches open all the time except in rain, so at times there's a fair breeze passing through the galley.

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
My 2008 Beneteau doesn't have a sniffer. I will eventually add one.

I new this thread would drift into a safety discussion but I didn't think it would be over propane.

Last edited: