Honda 2000 generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Big Ridge Marina, Hixson, Tn
The wife insists on cabin comfort if anchoring out. Chattanooga area can get hot hot hot in the summer months. Any experience with using the Honda generators anchoring out to run the air conditioning system?

Noise, where to mount, etc?

Much Thanks, Dave

Mar 20, 2007
Catalina 355 Kilmarnock, VA
Check recent discussion of this on the Catalina 309 Owners Group forum on this site.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Or key "honda" in Search to see hundreds of discussions. Many of us run our air with the Honda 2000. I have a shorepower connector in my anchor locker so run mine up on the bow.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The Honda 2000 will adequately run up to a 13000 btu A/C unit. Beyond that it gets dicey as it may not have the reserve power to kick on the compressor motor on larger units. Some sucessfully run units up to 16,000 btu with the help of a softstart capacitor. The point I want to get at is that the Honda 2000eu has a built in gas tank which holds about 1 gallon. Running a small 6000 btu in eco-throtle it can run approximately 7 hours depending on ambient temperature but running a large unit will require to turn the eco-throtle off and will only give you a run of about 3 hours. Getting up in the middle of the night to feed the generator is no fun. There is a kit being sold which would add an external 3 1/2 gallon tank which adds around 10-15 hours of running time. This means you do not have to interrupt your ssleep. You can make the connector to the external tank yourself by ordering an extra cap for your generator and getting a couple of fixtures, a fuel line and a bulb pump. The generator is great, not only will it run the A/C but can also recharge your batteries and run a microwave oven. Not all at once so plan ahead.

Nov 23, 2008
Benny17441 said:
The Honda 2000 will adequately run up to a 13000 btu A/C unit. Beyond that it gets dicey as it may not have the reserve power to kick on the compressor motor on larger units. Some sucessfully run units up to 16,000 btu with the help of a softstart capacitor. The point I want to get at is that the Honda 2000eu has a built in gas tank which holds about 1 gallon. Running a small 6000 btu in eco-throtle it can run approximately 7 hours depending on ambient temperature but running a large unit will require to turn the eco-throtle off and will only give you a run of about 3 hours. Getting up in the middle of the night to feed the generator is no fun. There is a kit being sold which would add an external 3 1/2 gallon tank which adds around 10-15 hours of running time. This means you do not have to interrupt your ssleep. You can make the connector to the external tank yourself by ordering an extra cap for your generator and getting a couple of fixtures, a fuel line and a bulb pump. The generator is great, not only will it run the A/C but can also recharge your batteries and run a microwave oven. Not all at once so plan ahead.
Thanks for the advice. Where do U mount your generator?

Nov 26, 2006
Hunter 31 1987 Fly Creek Marina Fairhope,AL.
a permanent mount isnt needed as the gen weighs less than 50 lbs and has rubber feet . i usually sit mine in cock pit by stern rail .

May 13, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Legend Jupiter
Can anyone please explain for me exactly what a softstart capacitor does and possibly a link to one recommended for a 16,700 BTU ac with a 20 amp initial startup requirement - moves to 9.5 amp after that

I've googled them but its proving out of my depth

May 13, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Legend Jupiter
Thanks for the link kloudie1

I'll see if I can find some detailed information about it and take it from there :)

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Java

Java has the info on his web site showing the hard start setup for nthe AC to Honda 2000.
Nick

Nov 23, 2008
Thanks for all the info...... very helpful....... the more the 'first mate' and I are on the boat..... the more we what to be..... somethings got to give.... perhaps the job.......

Status
Not open for further replies.