Homemade holding tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 7, 2004
Hunter 33.5 Saint Louis
Peggy

Having a holding tank is new territory for me. My H26 has a portable toilet. I'm buying a 1993 33.5 soon that has the origanal waste system still installed and working well. The metal tank and 10 year old hoses concern me after reading of your thoughts about metal holding tanks. I did notice a slight odor under the settee when it was opened up but all was clean and no signs of ever leaking. This boat is in fantastic shape. Another winter project for me? Jeff

P

Peggie Hall/Head Mistress

If it ain't broke...

The metal tank will have to be replaced sooner or later, but whether to do now, or wair until you see signs of leaking, is a toss-up. Check under it...if it's dry with no "water stains," you can put it off at least another year unless you just want to do it now and be done with it...which, if you have to replace the hoses, might not be a bad idea. Test the hoses for permeation: clean off a section, wet a clean rag in HOT water, wring it out and wrap it around the hose. Leave it there until it cools, then smell the rag. If you can't smell anything on the rag, that hose is fine...if you can, that hose has permeated and should be replaced. Check ALL the hoses--head discharge, pumpout, and tank vent line...and use a clean rag for each one. If the boat is on the river, consider installing a Lectra/San or PuraSan--Type I MSD that treats the waste and discharges it overboard. Treatment devices are legal on the Mississippi and MO rivers. Check 'em out on the Raritan website (link below).

D

Dean Strong

Ron & Peggy

I'm just glad that somebody is taking this crap so seriously.... That being said, I replumbed my entire system based on Peggy's advice, and it came out beautifully. The woman knows her s---.

Status
Not open for further replies.