Home is the Sailor

Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
I was just a few boat lengths away from a brief "pier head jump" crew drop off at City Island, New York, when I realized that I was about to see something that I have never seen. Not once before, ever, in a decade that has seen over 20,000 miles go under her keel, have I viewed Strider underway while I was standing on shore. I made the the last landing as her owner, shook hands quickly with her new master and his delivery crew and jumped ashore.

It is bad luck to watch a ship sail out of sight so I didn't linger except for a couple quick photos and a wave before striding down the dock towards the next vessel and great adventures to come.

Strider is not completely leaving our lives, however. Good friend Paul Meyer, a US citizen resident in Canada, is buying her at a very favorable price that will let us borrow her for a week or two when we feel like sailing far downeast and we will be able to start right in the middle of our favorite cruising grounds instead of needing to spend a couple weeks getting there and a couple weeks returning.

As for the next vessel and our future plans, I regret to inform all of my readers here that we have joined the darkside. During the six ICW cruises documented as a Featured Contributor on this site, I have fallen in love with waterways, watching the shore slide by close alongside and anticipating the view around the next bend. Back when I was flying airplanes, people asked why I didn't get an instrument rating. My answer was that I flew to look at the ground. It's now much the same with boating and the "ground" we want to see are the lands and towns that line the canals and waterways of Canada, New York, and the , Great Loop. Our sailing will now be done in the dinghy we will carry on the afterdeck of the mothership.

After half a century of crashing up and down with spray in my face, I am ready for a pilothouse and sliding along in calm waters out of the sun. If the spirit moves us, we will still be able to go any of the places Strider could go. We'll be able to go to even more places with over 1000 mile range, a foot less draft, and able to get under any bridge with at least 15 feet of clearance. I fully expect to someday be enjoying sunset drinks in Havana aboard our new craft.

The new boat is going to be a financial and boat project adventure. She has been a liveaboard for about the same time that I have owned Strider and is set up primarily to be connected to the grid in marinas. She is a rare craft. Only five were built with the full pilothouse and only one of those is currently for sale. She may be funny looking but it is the only production boat we could remotely afford to purchase and feed with enough room to live aboard comfortably as long as we expect to. We've therefore taken a huge collective gulp and committed to major restoration and conversion of systems to the self sufficiency we are used to as sailors.

You can see the photos of the 36 foot Kadey-Krogen Manatee we close on next week here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10203048966665529&type=1&l=2e5f302020

One thing that won't change is that we will still be cruising at sailboat speeds.

I regret that this is "sailboatowners.com" instead of "boatowners.com". Writing for you all has enriched my cruising experience immeasurably. I thank you all who have been my cyber companions over these many miles and special thanks to Phil who gave me the opportunity to share this last phase of my life with you.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Well first of all thank you for the interesting reads over the past two years or so ......i am glad to see your adventurous spirit is alive and well.....with all that room in the new boat i am sure you and Pat will have a great time cursing the water ways of this country....if i remember correctly there is a trawler forum on here.....so if you get the itch to write about your travels i am sure there is room to share.......the best to you both from this forum-ite...and keep moving to the next port

best regards

Woody "Woodster" Goforth

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Does this mean you'll be in Annapolis for the POWER BOAT shows?

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
Wow....interesting news.

Congratulations on your new boat. You may have a powerboat but I am sure that you are still a sailor at heart.

I have known a few older sailors who, when they got older, switched to a trawler. I can understand not wanting to winch in a sail or raise a halyard when it gets to be so much of a strain. Besides, the great loop will be easier in the powerboat.

Best wishes and keep us posted!

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
I've seen lots of sailboats that don't seem to raise their sails. Depending on where we go, I motor plenty (no wind, too many islands blocking the wind, etc.) I don't think you need to abandon SBO however.

Your new purchase is still a boat (Granted it looks funny with no mast and all.)

Ken

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
After half a century of crashing up and down with spray in my face, I am ready for a pilothouse and sliding along in calm waters out of the sun.
Just consider it a fixed dodger! :D:D:D

All the best on your new vessel, great to see you found a good home for Strider.

Stick around, we'd miss you big time otherwise.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Roger, congratulations on the new vessel. Been following your posts as long as I have been a member of this site. Keep the posts coming as you do the restorations. Ya' know, a trawler is really just a sailboat without a mast. Or, is it the other way 'round ? If, or when, you get to Tarpon Springs, Fl., give me a holler at Anclote Isles Marina. Take you out for a sail. I know you'll be Jonesin' by then.
Roland
s/v Fraulein II

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Congratulations on the new one, Roger! As Stu said, stick around and post some more !
She looks to be in fine shape..
Susan and I still fondly reminisce about the great sail you took us on in Casco Bay..Strider is a fine vessel ! If ya get down south, we've a spare room where yall can get land legs back !

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
Congratulations on the sale of Strider & your new purchase.
Nice new cruising grounds, that's pretty cool.
Don't think of it as going over to the dark side, you've got the backwards :)
I wish you all the best for the future!

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 34 Toronto, Ontario Canada
If you go to the "dark side" that is the way to do it, Roger- my dock mate has a Krogen 42. Beautiful boat, extremely seaworthy and surprisingly easy on fuel.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
New boat looks great Roger. Is that a full size Refrigerator I see and a separate shower stall? Your going to love it. A friend just did the great loop on his Defever and had a great experience. If your cruising through NC look me up, maybe the weather will be nice and you can explore the barrier islands. Wishing you the best,

Dave

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
New boat looks great Roger. Is that a full size Refrigerator I see and a separate shower stall? Your going to love it. A friend just did the great loop on his Defever and had a great experience. If your cruising through NC look me up, maybe the weather will be nice and you can explore the barrier islands. Wishing you the best,

Dave

looks like roger is going to be living large in his up coming travels i hope to see him in the gulf when it happens GOOD ON HIM

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Roger, was just going through my logs and came upon a sailing charterer I had aboard for two days in Feb. of last year. He was down here in Fl. and itching to go sailing. Capt. Lyman Stuart - Casco Bay, Maine. He runs sailing charters out of there. Just wondering if you might know him and, if so, tell him I said hi if you should run into him.
Thanks,
Roland