Home Built Swing Stove

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Lezlie is a pretty neat lady. A good friend. She sold the Paradox and sailed to Key West, where she is now- more cruising in her future.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
I'm still reading her build on the blog. Learning some good stuff.
She seems very capable and determined to say the least. Sounds like you have neat friends TSBB.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
My last boat (Mac V22) had something like this in it. I don't know who manufactures it but it is the same design. You can just make it out in this pic.

r

Attachments

Mar 1, 2012
Looks like maybe the ForeSpar Mini Galley. Pot size is rather limited, where on the one Lezlie built, there is no practical limit. BUT there's also no real pot holder other than the upper frame.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Lezlie is a pretty neat lady. A good friend. She sold the Paradox and sailed to Key West, where she is now- more cruising in her future.
Key West was the right call! Glad she had a soft landing.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Looks like maybe the ForeSpar Mini Galley.
Yep

I think you are correct. I did an image search for the ForeSpar and found this

It looks a lot like the one I had.

Mar 1, 2012
Yep the Sea COOK is a great stove arrangement,. I had one on my last boat that I modified to a kerosene burner. The Sea SWING as now built, is not nearly as nice an arrangement. If I could find a Sea COOK, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

And that other home built one was done by my friend Skylark. Kinda neat too.

And here's a third home built one, done by James Baldwin of Atom. Nice guy. Spent a great afternoon with him and Mei a few years ago.

http://www.atomvoyages.com/articles/improvement-projects/137-potholder.html

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
That's a nice design! Thanks for the link. I love those old Tritons, first one I heard of was Daniel Spurr's. Looks like an interesting blog.
If I decide to sell my Seacook I'll let you know.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Never met Daniel Spurr, inherited his book "Upgrading the Cruising Sailboat" with an unfinished boat I bought.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
I thought this was cool. The stove isn't home built but the gimbal is. http://lezliesworld.blogspot.com/2011/05/gimbaled-stove.html
Wally World has the stove for $24.
The lady used this in the Matt Layden design "Paradox" that she built.
that is a simple enough design to build, but as we have not seen the follow up on how it worked out I would be a bit skeptical in that the fulcrum/pivots may be a bit too low to the cooking surface..... with a tea kettle or pan on top, the weight above may overhaul the weight below, (or a fry pan with the handle sticking out) in which case the cooking kettle may end up cocked at an angle. and as the fuel bottle gets used down, it will weigh even less....
i would opt for about a 2.5 or 3" for the pivots to be above the stove top where the pan will sit. that would also create a higher fiddle around the burner to keep things in place if it should get rough....

Mar 1, 2012
that is a simple enough design to build, but as we have not seen the follow up on how it worked out I would be a bit skeptical in that the fulcrum/pivots may be a bit too low to the cooking surface..... with a tea kettle or pan on top, the weight above may overhaul the weight below, (or a fry pan with the handle sticking out) in which case the cooking kettle may end up cocked at an angle. and as the fuel bottle gets used down, it will weigh even less....
i would opt for about a 2.5 or 3" for the pivots to be above the stove top where the pan will sit. that would also create a higher fiddle around the burner to keep things in place if it should get rough....
Good points and I agree, but remember- the boat it was built for was a Paradox (Mat Leyden design) Never gonna get used except at anchor.

Status
Not open for further replies.