Home built malabar schooner

JayZ

Dec 4, 2007
Hodgdon Bros. Alden Caravelle Seabrook, Texas
why is this forum so quiet? 670 views on the link I posted and not a single comment.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
It's odd, but I never noticed your post of the Malabar build, until I saw it today. I check the forum several times a week. The forum does move slowly. But I always assume that's a numbers thing. Most posts will show very few hits, surprising there were that many views. Quite a feat! Too often those long builds don't end that way.

Mohawk

Oct 6, 2013
Alden Challenger Yawl 38 Falmouth area soon Portsmouth
Rather slow - and I've just caught up with this wonderful story of such unbelievable persistence and self-belief!

Loved the video and the look of this truly gorgeous John G Alden designed schooner finally on the water under sail. As we all know - no words can truly describe the feeling he must have had when she first took the wind in her new sails! The man should get a medal!

Thanks so much for posting and sharing this beautiful story......

Jon (Challenger 38 Yawl 'Prion' (ex 'Mohawk'), Reading, UK

Mohawk

Oct 6, 2013
Alden Challenger Yawl 38 Falmouth area soon Portsmouth
Just found this on 'Woodenboat' blog dated 3 days ago for those wishing latest news.....

"This was around 1 year ago. Spent one night outside the Texas Maritime museaum, then back into the Gulf. She takes a good crew of three to work the lines and most of his crew is made up of novice sailors. Many forget, are just don't know, how long it takes to sail from Port to Port. We pulled out of Sabine Pass; just below Pt. Aurthur and It was dark before we made it to Galveston dock. Better crew than me would have been faster run. Vardiman did comment that the only area where he had worm damage ( she's been recoated on her bottom at least once) was on the stern waterline where the previous waterline was not coated at all with copper paint. Also little by little he's having to use paint instead of bright varnish wood on the topside. But Vardiman was never real concerned with that Varnished look. The first year she was in the water, Vardiman was in rehab.. So. What this boat needs is a young man to really really push her and the crew. I suspect that 98% of the plastic sail boats tied up in Kerma Harbour or the yatch basin in Corpus Christi Bay have never ventured out into the Gulf. In fact that's probably true across the county. Suspect the NE does better out of desire vs prestige. So considering Captain V is over 80 yrs and with a peg leg....he still gets out and could be in the Key's right now ...for all I know. I'll find out more. LOL"

More here......
http://forum.woodenboat.com/archive/index.php/t-88094.html