Hole in keel bulb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 24, 2012
The repair would be simple using epoxy but the downside is it would take lots $$$ of it.

This looks like a manufacturing defect. - my first approach would be to go back to Beneteau for resolution

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
That looks really strange. One would think that the keel bulb would be solid iron or lead. It looks like a chunk was broken out of the bulb by running aground or dropped in handling and someone tried to camoflage it by filling with fiberglass or worse yet, Bondo.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The repair would be simple using epoxy but the downside is it would take lots $$$ of it.

This looks like a manufacturing defect. - my first approach would be to go back to Beneteau for resolution
All sailboats are warranted to the original owner for 1-2 years against manufacturing defects. The boat is a least TWENTY FIVE years old! It probably has had 4 owners. Who knows what happened?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Ed,

The 285 has a cast iron keel, both the strut and the bulb. I'm not aware of that much glass fairing being original; like the very similar 235 most of owners of 285s that I know have often blasted them down to bare iron and epoxyed them. I'm guessing there was a large amount that rusted off and some PO glassed it up. Your friend might want to ask on the the 285 forum on this web site, is has a large 285 owners group as well.

http://www.beneteau235.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.