Hole in binnacle guard base?

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
2005 Hunter 33 Lake Lewisville, TX
I have a 1986 Catalina 30 TRBSFK. The PO zip-tied the power and SeatalkNG cables for Autopilot drive and control head to the outside of the guard:

I would like to run them up the inside of the post because this is ugly and a trip hazard. From below, the guard base is attached with through bolts and a washer like this:

The guard is held by the two bolts in the foreground. Pay no attention to the dirt on the cockpit sole and the mold below. I will clean that up in this process. Question is: Can I drill a hole between the two bolts to run the cable? Is the guard a hollow tube with a hole at the base and does the bolted base have a hole through to the cockpit sole?

I could disassemble the entire guard to find out, but it would save time and re-bedding if it's as simple as drilling one hole.

Thanks for sharing if you have a similar setup.
KBG

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Yes, but I think I'd remove that screw so you can remove the guard tube and drill a pilot hole dead center from the top. Be prudent to rebed anyway dissassemby is easy and best to prevent leaks, looks like a PO as already slopped a bunch of dried up chalk around the feet.

May 7, 2011
C - 30 # 3573 Lake NormanNC formerly Bflo NY
Will you overdrill and use a rubber grommet? If so consider two smaller holes rather that one large.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
After you drill the hole, I suggest that you coat the sides of the pentrwtion wall with epoxy to seal the core.

Aug 7, 2018
Catalina 350 Great Sodus Bay, Lake Ontario
I just removed my guard last week to install a new "taller" guard to accomodate a Nav Pod. I found things to be "bound up" and not moving after removing the 4 bolts holding the feet to the deck and the 2 screws that hold the guard to the feet. 35 years of gunk had to be loosened up. I tapped the guard tubes with a rubber mallet to break them free and slid that up and out, then I sprayed adhesive remover into the bottom of the feet and let it sit for 30 minutes, they came right off with no damage to the deck or feet. I did notice water stains on the plywood backing below deck which was the primary reason to remove and rebed the feet. I drilled both feet through large enough to fit the cable ends for the navpod run and the wheel pilot cable and rebed them. The job took about an hour total. PM if you need photos or have questions. Good luck with it.

Last edited: