Holding tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jjlarsen

The holding tank in my 37' cutter is being replaced. (Moel year is 1983). Can anynone direct me to an after-market mfg. of holding tanks ? Mychoice is to have one fabricated and that way lies a lot of money so I would appreciate any help.

E

Ed Schenck

H37C holding tank dilemma.

First you should search the "Forum Archives" as this topic has been covered in depth. Then you could e-mail me and I could share some of the notes that have been passed among many of us H37C owners. Lots has been written about getting the old tank out from under the shower seat. My own 1979 H37C has a 30 gal. bladder tank in the center v-berth that works fine and has minimal odor. Despite that I plan to install a Ronco tank in that same spot. See their web-site(http://www.ronco-plastics.com/), then select "Special Tanks". If you use "30" as a size I like tank #3, just about a perfect fit. Problem is that the hatch is too small and will have to be enlarged to get the tank in there.

R

Rick Harvey

I purchased a 16 gallon tank ex stock from BoatUS for around $60. The Macerator pump screwed into the outlet and after making some brackets it fitted perfectly into the V berth center compartment. The shower seat was removed during the removal of the old tank. Now it serves as a water proof hold for the bathroom.

P

Peggie Hall/Head Mistress

Uh-oh, Rick...

Screwing the macerator directly into the holding tank is a bad idea. In fact, connecting ANYthing "rigid" directly to anything else that's rigid is a bad idea. For one thing, ANY movement--even a fraction of an inch--by the macerator puts stress on the tank fitting that can crack it. A hard shock--just banging the dock--is enough to do it. If the threaded nipple on the macerator is metal, it and the tank have different thermal co-efficients (expands and contracts at a different rate and to different amounts), which can also crack the tank fitting. And if you really cranked it down when you threaded it in, the tank fitting is almost guaranteed to crack because threaded sanitation fittings--on the macerator and the tank--are NPT standard, which is slightly tapered. Tightening a fitting more than one turn past hand tight puts too much stress on the female fitting, causing it to crack...not always immediately--I've seen it take up to a year, but it will happen. Finally, if there's ANY stress--iow a bend in the hose that pulls the macerator to the right or left, up or down, it'll crack the tank fitting. It's your boat, but if it were mine I'd "soft-couple" the macerator to the tank with enough hose to act as a shock absorber and take the stress off it.

R

Rick Harvey

The macerator body and tank

The macerator body and tank are made of the same material. I feel more comfortable with a 3/4 id output hose making the necessary bends. If I was to screw a large barb into the tank I still put stress on the threads and have to deal with larger diameter hose that is far more rigid attached to a plastic fitting. The macerator is light and well supported. I think both types of installations have advantages.

Status
Not open for further replies.