Holding Tank

Whit

Sep 13, 2004
Hunter 30_88-94 New Orleans LA
Has anyone installed a holding tank? Any recomendations?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Holding tank on CHRISTMAS

Hi Whit, I didn't install this, the previous owner did and it works fine. A nauta bladder, I think it is 20 gallons. It's in the bottom of the original hamper which has a hinged lift up top just forward of the sink and next to the head. Short plumbing run-Y valve- and the clean out run through the back of the cabinetry and through the deck.

The problem of course is the size. Here in Maine things are pretty lax but that will change and holding tank use will become more the norm. I am looking for larger capacity and maybe a new location in the future.

I hope someone has installed a better system and will tell us about it.

Jun 28, 2004
Whit,

I installed a hard holding tank under the starboard forward berth. It's not large, but big enough for two or three of us to use in port and discharge-free waters (within reason). I used reinfornced vinyl tubing, which I happened to have around, which after about 5 years is now allowing a little odor to escape. This winter I plan to replace the tubing with more impermeable tubing, and can take some pictures as I take things apart and reassemble them.
I will dig out the name of the tank manufacturer and post it later - it turned out to be a remarkably good fit in the space available.

Rick O'Connell

Whit

Sep 13, 2004
I'll look forward seeing the pictures and the manufacturer.
You must be right around the corner from me. I'll keep a weather eye peeled for you.

Jun 28, 2004
Whit - The holding tank I installed is a Sealand 401500 (original number). It is 12 1/2 X 22 X 19 inches, but has one long edge cut off to make it a bit triangular. It is 15 gallons, and the new Defender catalog that arrive last week has it. It fit perfectly beneath the port forward berth, just forward of a drawer (with a small locker beneath). I only had to add a lateral brace across the front of the tank to hold it, since it nestles between the hull and base of the berth tightly. Running plumbing to the head was straightforward, and I have two Y-valves and a Henderson pump along with a pumpout port on deck.

There is a pumpout boat in Quisset that will empty it during the week when we are not on board, and when we are far enough out we can also pump it overboard. The sink in the head drains into the toilet, and we usually pump gray (and other minimally colored) water directly overboard. But since we regularly swim off the boat we are pretty scrupulous about not discharging solid waste.

Rick

Whit

Sep 13, 2004
rjoconnell - Thanks for the detailed info. I'm tearing up the house looking for my Defender wish book.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Does this mean the water tank I have in the bow is rare?

I've been following this holding tank thread. I have a SS water tank I believe is around 40 gallons. It's at least 30 but I hesitate to fill it except for a passage or a sail I expect to be away from water for some time. I use it first to get back on our lines.

It simply sinks the bow too far. These bows are pretty fine at least until you get above the waterline a bit.

I would like a larger fixed holding tank onboard in the future. This area is more practical for waste, less time filled than a water tank. I have even thought of converting the bow water tank to waste in the future. I think the future of waste onboard will be more tankage, better systems, less areas to pump overboard and more convienence in pumping out. Camden Harbor just got its first pump out boat a year ago, very convienent. Until then, there really was not reliable pump out in our area.

Rick or Whit, do you have more space for waste tankage up there or is something else taking it up?

Whit

Sep 13, 2004
I know that I have seen somewhere in print how to determine what the size of the holding tank should be based on the number of crew. Tom, what do you feel would be suitable for your family?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Good question Whit. We used to sail on inland Lake

Champlain. Zero discharge. No ability to pump overboard was permitted. The simple fact was, the more capacity the better. It was our main reason to head to a dock 4 times out of 5, alittle restricting.

Now on the coast of Maine, the ability to pump overboard off shore changes everything. We have a 15 gallon gallon flexible tank which is fine as we are often outside the coast. I believe this may change in the future. The coast gives us alot more breathing room. I like the idea of equiping our boat to allow the most independance from docks and marinas. That's the type of sailing we prefer.

My experience on the lake(we had about 20 to 25 gallon capacity) tells me 40 gallons would make life much easier. It has to be a bomb proof system for obvious reasons, we learned that on the lake as well.

I wish I had a better answer Whit.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
It was built in and for the boat the same time the settee

tanks were built. It's top is trapazoid shape and the long aft edge goes just forward of the seat and small bulkhead in the vee berth. It spans the hull athwartship and goes forward as the trapazoid gets smaller. (Does that make any sense?) The seat between the vee berth lifts up to reveal the top of the tank less than an inch below.

Aft of the tank there is a drawer and locker under each vee berth.

I suspect it's around 40 gallons. With the total tankage of 120, and 80 gallons of diesel, we can spend alot of time away from the docks.

Alden was aware of the tank so it must have been an option. It of course has a seperate fill. Full, it will sink the bow 3 or 4".

Jun 28, 2004
Holding tank info link

The holding tank I have is at the Sealand website
http://www.sealandtechnology.com/produc ... asp?pid=27
and is the 15HTS-HRZ model. It has changed a bit since I got mine, but this is basically the same tank. In principle, there is room for one on each side, but the extra plumbing would be a nuisance, especially when it fails. They also make a triangular tank that would fit in the bow, similar to Tom's.

Apr 7, 2006
We need to put in a holding tank on Muskrat and the obvious spot is somewhere up forward. How do all your tanks vent? All ours vent to the transom except for potable water which are in the lockers above the settees (ok for water but....).

I figure I'll go with the largest I can fit in the area where Tom's water tank is, and probably wiggle a vent line aft to the transom.