Holding tank vent

dj2210

Feb 4, 2012
Catalina 30 Watts Bar
I was thinking about installing a 3/4 or 1 inch thru-hull vent for the holding tank above the port rub rail and eliminating the stanchion vent. Our holding tank is midship under the port settee. I'm concerned about heeling though and getting water in there, not that my rail is in the water much. Has anybody done this on their C30? How's it working out with holding tank smells?

Oct 5, 2010
Catalina 30 mkII St. Augustine
image-2442676882.jpg

Holding tank vent is on side of hull under rub rail below first diesel jerry can. Line from holding tank to vent should have anti syphon loop.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Peggy Hall has recomened this for ever ...and if anyone knows she does.... Doug...i used to fish on Wattsbar lake with my dad an uncle from Oak Ridge about 50 years ago....

regards

woody

dj2210

Feb 4, 2012
Catalina 30 Watts Bar
hvbaker- thanks for the picture, that's about where mine would go. I thought Peggie said in one of the threads I read not to put anti-siphon loop in and just make it a straight shot to the tank.

Woody- ha small world. I also work in Oak Ridge. belive it or not we were frozen in this past week at the marina.

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
Just installed one on our boat same location. There was a vent already in the same location but it was not a flush mount and was smashed and damaged when we got the boat. The plywood and glass at the location was pretty thick, maybe 3/4" or so.

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 Lake Murray Sailing Club
Here is a vent from Beneteau that made sense to me. They have them at the Marion SC plant. They have starboard and port vents so decide how you are going to run your hose before you order if you like this style. The hose can be routed to the top of the vent or straight from the bottom. I think it has small screen to keep spiders from creating a home for the summer. Also, make sure you have enough space between the hull and liner before you drill!

Be nice to your neighbor and add a carbon filter in the line! :)

Lew

Attachments