Holding tank pumpout question

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I'm not sure Dave. This was given to us by the PO on Perry Lake. They must have some CG presence? We have nothing but park rangers here on Cheney. They enforce the rules and watch for careless boaters.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
What kind of CG inspection? The USCG Auxillary does offer free courtesy inspections and the CG does inspect some vessels used for commercial purposes. If the lake does not have access to the ocean, then it is not in the CG's jurisdiction. The local authorities have jurisdiction and state law applies, which for safety issues and such usually mirrors federal law.
See ya learn something new everyday, I learned today that the CG doesn't have jurisdiction on waterways without access to oceans. Thanks for that @dlochner
I am sure that the local sheriffs office would not appreciate a pump out system in a boat used exclusively in freshwater, I know where we sail the odds of being boarded are slim, but if in Canadian waters and boarded by their officials and you have such a system you would be subject to fines and possible confiscation.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
DayDreamer41 said:
So you are in Cheney, KS did you purchase the boat in the same area? I only ask as why would a freshwater boat have an a pump out system to dump the holding tank overboard? If inspected by the Coast Guard one could find themselves in a bad situation.
Funny you should ask. We were talking about holding tanks over dinner last night. That's what sailors do right? We bought Bella from another lake in Kansas, but it originally came from the east coast. It is a documented vessel, and it has been coast guard inspected. My friend at dinner has an older Hunter on Grand Lake in OK with a Y-valve that has been wired and tagged. Mine has no such restriction but probably should. I'm just glad it worked because our club pumping station was out of commission when we hauled out.

I doubt anyone will notice because, if I understand it, your head pumps into the holding tank. They are un likley to ever notice it unless you dumped the tank in a location where someone noticed you doing it.

Where people get cause, is (as I have them) when you have Y-Valves on the head(s). Then, if they pump the dye through (and the RED comes out) you're going to get tagged. You also need to have something securing the Y-Valve (that they notice).

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I doubt I'll ever have to use this system again. Our club pumpout station is free to members. It just wasn't working when I needed it. Never happened before.