Holding tank hose

Sep 14, 2016
Has anyone replaced the hose that goes from the holding tank to the deck pump out fitting? I can not remove it on deck because the hose clamps will not fit out the deck cut out. It is run through the aft head which looks like I will have to cut an access hole in the curved fiberglass to get the hose clamps off. Any ideas?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
You're not supposed to remove the pumpout hose on deck... First, pump out and THOROUGHLY rinse out the tank. Then remove the hose clamps from both ends of the pumpout line. Warming the hose a bit will make it a lot easier to pull the hoses off the deck fitting and the tank fitting. Lubricate the new hose with dishwashing liquid and warm it a bit to put them on the fittings...replace the hose clamps (2 at each end)...you're done.

I see you've joined our merry little band today...welcome aboard!

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Has anyone replaced the hose that goes from the holding tank to the deck pump out fitting? I can not remove it on deck because the hose clamps will not fit out the deck cut out. It is run through the aft head which looks like I will have to cut an access hole in the curved fiberglass to get the hose clamps off. Any ideas?
I ran into the exact same problem on my 40.5
I was trying to replace all of the head hose, which is when I found the issue you are describing
What happened is that hunter mounted the pump out fitting & hose to the deck, and then joined the deck to hull, lowering the pump out hose where the mascerator is located.
I'm going a bit by memory here, but I think this is how I solved it
I seem to recall that I loosened the fitting from the deck with the hose attached
Then, I was able to spin the unit around.
I think I used a socket on the end of a flexible (spring type) socket driver. I was able to get the socket onto the hose clamp, even though reaching behind the panel was a huge pain
Be sure to disconnect your shore power first.
Once you get the hose clamp loose, slip it down the hose, and the deck fitting comes out.
When you replace the hose, you have 2 choices:
Modify the deck to clear the hose clamps
Or, buy a "clamptite" tool, which allows you to use stainless wire instead of hose clamps. I think that's what I did, but can't fully remember

Sep 14, 2016
Thanks artboas, you understand what I'm dealing with. If I could remove the hose clamps there wouldn't be a problem! I'll give it another look. The nearest access in nav. station is where I removed stereo. I couldn't see the hose at all. Oh well, I'll figure something out. Thanks

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
It should NOT be necessary to remove the deck fitting to access the pumpout hose...there has to be a way to access the underside of it from inside the boat. If there weren't, I've been in marine sanitation, and also on this site, for 20+ years, even hosting the plumbing and sanitation forum for 15 of 'em...I'd have heard about it long before now.
A Hunter dealer should be able to tell you how to do it the right way.

Sep 14, 2016
Thanks Peggy, believe me I've been working on boats for 25 years. Accessing the hose clamps under the deck fitting is almost impossible without cutting some fiberglass down below. The other person that answered gave me some things to try and I will keep at it. I doubt anyone from Hunter can help as they are one of the worst examples of build and design I've ever seen.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Weeelllll...since you're eventually gonna have to replace all the hoses, you're gonna need access to all the tank fittings, and removing the deck fitting isn't as simple as just removing picking it up and setting it back into place. So you might as well bite the bullet and cut the access you need--a nice clean hole with some nice trim around it. But I'd still try a dealer (not Hunter directly, it's no longer owned by the people who owned it whem your boat was built), one with a good service department, boatyard. You have nothing to lose.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Thanks artboas, you understand what I'm dealing with. If I could remove the hose clamps there wouldn't be a problem! I'll give it another look. The nearest access in nav. station is where I removed stereo. I couldn't see the hose at all. Oh well, I'll figure something out. Thanks
Well,
I did get the clamp off. It was really tough.
I'm pretty sure I used a socket on a flexible extension.
You are going to tear up your arm doing this, as I remember a bunch of cuts & scrapes.
It wil come out, it's just a real pain.
As mentioned, my memory on this is foggy,
One tool you want to buy is a cheap fiber optic camera. You can get these at Harbor freight for about $100. It is really handy for hidden jobs such as these.
Good luck
Arthur

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
You can get borescope cameras that attach to your phone for about $20 online. Make sure your specific phone is compatible with the camera you buy.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
You can get borescope cameras that attach to your phone for about $20 online. Make sure your specific phone is compatible with the camera you buy.
Or a laptop. My camera is a USB interface with a 10-meter cord and integral lighting. $20 from Amazon.

Ken

CbKl

Mar 1, 2023
Hunter 40.5 New Buffalo, MI
Hi All, To resurect old thread....
Add me to the lucky group in this predicament. 1993 Legend 40.5 owner who is having trouble accessing the rest of the pumpout hose. I'll soon apply the advice for that hose, but what about the vent hose?
It runs in the same area. I'd like to apply Peggy's advice on the vent upgrade hose size to 1" and vent thru-hul w/o the hoodl.
I'm considering resorting to using hole saw over the current vent (its smaller than the replacement), cutting appropriate dimension hole for the new larger vent fixture, then pulling new vent hose out through the new hole, attaching and crimping hose clamps or using clamptite tool,
lowering the new assembly through hole with sealant and tighten.
2 questions for those wiser than I:
1) anyone know why this can't work? and
2) the original vent pipe has "U" turn loop. It comes from tank, runs above the vent thru-hull then turns 180 degres and then out. Presumeably this limits water ingress during extreme heeling, unplanned gusts. It'll be hard to recreate this loop with the larger hose. How badly do I need this loop? Other options?
Thank you in advance.:cool:

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
A loop is the last thing you need in a holding tank vent line!
And while I agree with you plan to "upgrade" your vent line to a larger diameter, we prob'ly should chat a bit about your entire plan to do this and also the best way to run all your sanitation plumbing to keep things as simple as possible. Send me a PM if you'd like to do that.

--Peggie