Holding tank hose barb combination elbow fittings recommendations

Jul 7, 2014
Hunter Passage 42 Jacksonville
Hello everyone,

I need 90 degree elbow hose barb fittings for the Ronco plastic holding tank I ordered. Are there any specific type recommended for this application?

Would something like these Spears 1413 series of PVC insert elbow fittings work? 1413-010 - Spears 1413-010 - 1" 90° PVC Insert Elbow (Insert x MIPT)

The tank has two 1" inlets, a 1-1/2" outlet and a 1/2" vent. All threaded female fittings, I believe they are tapered threads...

Thanks in advance!

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
You're a bit late asking questions if you've already ordered it. Advice would be get a bigger vent size. Those one inch inlets may work with your heads, but I doubt it. 1.5 outlet is pretty standard. Can you change your order?:banghead:

Jul 7, 2014
You're a bit late asking questions if you've already ordered it. Advice would be get a bigger vent size. Those one inch inlets may work with your heads, but I doubt it. 1.5 outlet is pretty standard. Can you change your order?:banghead:
I already have the tank.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
I'm installing a Raritan Elegance and have removed my holding tank. One of my 90° fittings was damaged so I'm looking for a replacement. I was looking at this
but it's not barbed where it connects to the hose. Is this better or worse? The barbed ones seem to be too short to double clamp but the one you found might be OK.

Reading the manual on my head the discharge lines can be 1" or 1-1/2" and yes they are tapered threads NPT/MIPT

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
It's not essential that the hose connecting end of a thread-barb fitting be barbed as long as the hose is securely onto the fitting far enough to double clamp the connection. And btw, the screws on the clamps should be 180 degrees apart...or at least 90 degrees if location makes 180 impossibly difficult. Do NOT use any sealant! Warm the hose slightly (this also makes it a lot easier to remove hoses) and lubricate the inside of the hose and the outside of the fitting with dishwashing liquid--or better yet, K-Y, which is a surgical jelly that's exceptionally slippery but water soluble, so it dries out instead of remaining slippery.

A 90 degree "sweep" is a better choice than a tight 90 but it does need a bit more room. If you don't have enough room for it, a tight 90 is ok.

--Peggie

Jul 7, 2014
Hi Peggie,

Thank you for your response...

Are there any specific fittings you'd recommend?

I was considering using a PVC MPT-slip combo street elbow with a few inches of Sch 40 pipe cemented into the slip side as the "Barb".

A fitting like this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/LASCO-1-in-x-90-Degree-PVC-Sch-40-Elbow/3371464

Since tubing is measured by ID and PVC pipe by OD, it seems the tubing should fit over the PVC pipe pretty well...? (Obviously double clamped as you described)

What do you think?

Thanks!

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Welll.....you might want to take a look at these: Dometic.SeaLand hose fittings MarineSan has 'em. Definitely a good bit pricier than fittings from Lowes, but will let you see how various fittings components fit together...and you may find all the components at Lowes 'cuz they have a pretty good plumbing department.

--Peggie