Holding T ball fittings in place

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
Due to needing a new upper shroud my mast is still down, so I can think about better ways to ensure the T ball fittings don't twist out of the slots.

I am thinking of putting a 3 + inch, 1/4 diam nylon bolt/nut through the mast above the fittings after insertion. Maybe stainless bolts. Either way I'd cut the bolt so very little was exposed past the nut. Has anyone tried this?

I have wrapped white electrical tape around the shanks in the past - not very effective.

Apr 6, 2014
Hunter 240 Navarre
I tend to use 1/2 inch wide blue painters masking tape, placed about 6 inches down from the shank (wrapped around the mast and both shroud lines). The tape breaks away as the mast is raised and the shrouds tension, and the slugs easily go through as the main is raised. The plugs certainly look like a nice, reusable method.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
Thanks for the comments. I had seen the other thread, and due to both cost and time to get them shipped, I am not sure I wan to use the plugs. I have also seen posts where people said they popped out, which is not too nice at $9 per.

The idea of using bolts through the mast seems like it would work, seems like it should be pretty secure, and avoids having tape hanging up there. I think I will try it this season, and offhand can't think of any problems it would cause, as long as the bolt is cut so neither end sticks out more than about 1/4 in.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Yeah those rubber plugs price is ridiculous. I ended up buying 6 of them. With regard to them falling out, I would think that is due to being old and worn out. Looking at the new ones, the shape and firmness of the rubber, I think they will be less likely to fall out. Also, being rubber will give a little and not damage/bend the T-ball or fitting in the mast.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
If you have a piece of plastic like delrin, cut a long rectangular piece and place it above the t ball and pop rivet it in place using aluminum pop rivets. You may want to cut a little out in a half moon to allow the swivel of the t ball inside. Attach to the outside. It worked for me.