Hoisting sails, deck hardware and running rigging.

Oct 9, 2022
Catalina 30 Stratford CT
I'm in the process of buying running rigging and deck hardware for the 1980 Catalina 30 I'm refitting and I'm trying to figure out what goes where, what I'm missing, and how things work. As noted in my other thread, this boat is a bit of a project.

This boat has a winch on the mast and a winch on the cabin top, starboard side with one jam cleat. There are no rope clutches on the boat. My halyards are external to the mast. First, is this the correct configuration for a 1980? And second, what is the procedure for hoisting? Do I use the mast winch for the head sail, and cabin winch for the main? Seems like the cabin winch would also be useful for the main sheet.

Again, I'd love to know how Catalina intended for things to work, but then I'd love to know your improvements. The boat will be used for cruising around Long Island Sound.

Thanks,
Carl

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Carl
Here is the brochure image of a Catalina 30
1667925411038.png

Halyards at the mast. No lines running back across the cabin top. No clutches or cabin top winches. No dodger, free sight lines over the cabin, just pure sailing fun.

Some will tell you you need to run your halyards back to the cockpit to feel safe. Others suggest that sailors were destined to walk the deck and control the halyards at the mast.

This is your boat and you get to choose. The forum has multiple threads about the pros and cons. There are many articles written about the choice.

You have a blank slate as designed and it is now your choice.

Oct 9, 2022
Catalina 30 Stratford CT
Carl
Here is the brochure image of a Catalina 30
View attachment 210710

Halyards at the mast. No lines running back across the cabin top. No clutches or cabin top winches. No dodger, free sight lines over the cabin, just pure sailing fun.

Some will tell you you need to run your halyards back to the cockpit to feel safe. Others suggest that sailors were destined to walk the deck and control the halyards at the mast.

This is your boat and you get to choose. The forum has multiple threads about the pros and cons. There are many articles written about the choice.

You have a blank slate as designed and it is now your choice.
Now I need to find that wooden cockpit floor! :cool:

Thank you!

• Ha

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
There is no end to the bling we can put on our boats.

Well that technically is untrue. We can find enough until the boat capsizes and turtles.

Then we can sail upside down on the currents.

Isn't that what Jack Sparrow did in "At the Worlds End"

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
You might also consider obtaining the owners manual for your boat, from both that vintage as well as newer models.

Here's where to go for them:

Catalina 30 Groups Link

Subscribe at the web forum:

Catalina30 groups.io Group
*All things Catalina 30 and 309! Sponsored by the International Catalina 30 Assn IC30A. FAQs, Q&A, comments, and experiences especially fixes and modifications invited. Share with over 2200 other owners. Website catalina30.com* *Please join the International Catalina 30 Association.

or by sending an email to:
Catalina30+subscribe@groups.io

This comes from this sbo thread by weekendrken:

1992 Catalina 30

Also: www.catalina30.com

Last edited:
  • Helpful