Hoisting Capri 22

keithg

Dec 22, 2015
I have seen boats with a large eye-hook mounted on angle iron and bolted to, in my boat, the four keel attachment through-bolts which are accessed through the bilge. I would like to know if such hardware is available commercially, or if anybody has a creative alternative idea. Using our club external bridle hoist is cumbersome, somewhat dangerous, and time-consuming. I'm hoping there is a better way for racers who need to hoist their boats frequently to keep the hull clean.

May 3, 2008
Catalina Capri 22 Half Moon Bay
I searched, but couldn't find the thread about crane hoisting the Capri 22.
Not sure what key words might find it?

But you have the correct idea...
Large eye bolt connected to a steel plate.
The steel plate connected to the keel bolts under the cabin sole.

Not seen anything commercially... probably need to make it custom.

Jul 3, 2013
Slartibartfass said:
http://www.capri22.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=86
That's the one!

There was a follow up thread (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=174) where the fact that the CP22 is stern heavy with motor, et cetera in place.

The on line plans that are mentioned are probably the Capri 25 Architectural Drawing package that shows several sketches of building and using the lifting bracket. The concept would be the same for the Capri 22 but the dimensions may need a little tweaking.
(Ignore the fact that whoever at Consolidated Aluminum made the mast drawings liked to spell Capri as "Capry" :D )

Here is a .pdf of those Capri 25 drawings ---

Attachments

Mar 15, 2014
catalina capri22 Florida
Are any drawings available for the Capri 22? Would be very nice to have them. For example it took me awhile to figure out the lines in the boom for reefing, etc. The keel bolts are a bit of a mystery to me.
Charles - 2005 capri 22 , wing keel

Jul 22, 2013
Catalina Capri 22 Mk II Salem Harbor
Have you the capri owner's manual ? It (both the mk I and mk II editions) has a few drawings depicting various lines, e.g., luff's reefing, Cunningham, as well as recommended line sizes and lengths.
As to the mystery of keel bolts, all I know is that they're under the small narrow laminated floor board in the cabin; as to servicing the bolts, I let'em alone.
Wooster, inattentive to many mysteries

Dfox

Mar 17, 2014
The studs for keel on #279 are too short to add a lifting eye. Thoughts?
Don't think removing keel nut is good idea?

Jan 30, 2014
I used the hoisting drawing for the CP 25
I built mine exactly like the drawing and it worked perfectly
Both boats are very similar in the keel bolt area.
Google search the Capri 25 for the info

Oct 31, 2022
Catalina Capri 22 Huntington
I have a 1"-8 Threaded keel bolt in my bilge as seen above. I am looking to put a lifting eye nut on this single bolt to hoist my Capri with Wing Keel just high enough off the trailer to clean/bottom paint under the Wing Keel. That 1"-8 threaded keel boat should be fine with out having to make a whole plate am I right?