HOISTING a 275 from the Keel

Mar 11, 2014
I'm looking for a way to haul out the boat using the club crane (it can handle 10K lbs) so I can change the leg oil in the sail drive with out having to get the boat hauled out at a yard. (If you try and pump out the leg oil you only can get half of what is there so it really needs to be drained from the plug at the bottom of the drive)
Looking at the keel bolts the most aft one that is right under the open companion way looks very stout as such wondering if any one had done this before. If so what did your hoist attachment look like...

Sep 24, 2021
Beneteau 35s5 Telegraph hrbr Thetis Island
We routinely hoisted a 2500 lb Martin 242 by the keelbolts (at times with a manual crane!). Amazingly a single keel bolt handled the load but we made a fitting that attached to a pair of them. However, hoisting directly through the companionway left the boat hanging bow down by about 3 feet... and the sling chafed on the hatchway. People that dry sailed the same boat and did this daily put a port in the cabintop at the center of balance (about a foot towards the mast from the companionway.. they did need to pull the hatch closed to clear the port.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I don't know how much tide you have where you are, but it was common to lay my boat up against a wharf and do minor jobs when the tide was out.

PMK

Dec 3, 2016
Catalina 275S Annapolis, MD
My C275 has a lifting ring in the bilge and came with a cable to connect the ring to a crane. Aren't these standard items with all C275s? BTW, I have never used mine to lift the boat, but good to know it's there if I need it.

Mar 11, 2014
My C275 has a lifting ring in the bilge and came with a cable to connect the ring to a crane. Aren't these standard items with all C275s? BTW, I have never used mine to lift the boat, but good to know it's there if I need it.
I wish it was a standard item, unfortunatetly it is not and I'd suspect was an after market item from the PO. It would be great if you could post pictures of what you have (Ring, Cable etc) so I can look into replicating it.
TIA

Mar 11, 2014
Thanks so much for sending the photos along. In my boat the bolt that you have the ring mounted to extends all the way up to just under the the wooden hatch that you have open to see it. I wonder if that means your bolt is pushed further into the keel or its just shorter than mine. In any regard I'd have to shorten mine if I wanted to leave the ring in place. Question on the length of the cable. is it just long enough for it to peak out of the over head hatch once hooked onto the ring. Also there are two other lines attached to the top of the cable, are they to attach to the winches to hold it up and keep it centered?

PMK

Dec 3, 2016
Catalina 275S Annapolis, MD
The primary cable is 7 feet long, including the hook on the boat end and the thimble on the crane end. The two white cables, with a loop on the end of each, are each 12 feet long. I have not used the set up to hoist my boat, but imagine that the white cables are manually held out to the side to stabilize and help to maneuver the boat while hoisted. The cable set up was included by Catalina with my boat, so might be best to contact them for specifications and instructions. Let us know what you find out. Thanks.