Hoist for dinghy motor

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
I would like to install a hoist for my 4hp dingy motor ( less than 50 lbs) on my H26.

A) I would love to see some pictures of H26 boats with a hoist installed

B) I'm thinking to build one myself from 1 inch SS tubing to avoid the approx $600 costs that I've seen online. Has anyone done this?

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
I think that your best value may be with garhualer marine. Check vertical and horizontal clearance. The garhualer is about half the price you mention and is all stainless. A 4hp is not that heavy on solid ground but a hoist makes handling it a lot easier and safer.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I like my swing-lift.com. It's 400 but requires a bigger footprint on the stern.

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
What about using your mast crutch? Or getting same size Al tubing from some place like cut2sizemetals.com and use the existing crutch location for the hoist. That would make the install easy I think.

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
Thanks for all the feedback.

Johann... I considered that idea however I would have to move my BBQ and my motor is mounted on the port side of the boat (on stern rail) so a hoist would require a long reach.

Has anybody installed these hoists on an H26 or H260? Any pics?

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
I use my boom (on the topping lift) to lift / lower my 4 HP (4 cy) Tohatsu dinghy engine. I have a 4:1 tackle clipped from the end of the boom to a harness on the engine using 2 double blocks. This next season I'm swapping out the double block on the boom with a fiddle & cam cleat to improve handling.