Hmm. Try and find the problem here.

Jul 15, 2014
Hunter H-376 Silver Cloud Marina
First and foremost, we've all been newbies!!!

Secondly, he was not familiar with his boat, nor what to do in the case of capsizing. It was his responsibility to inform his passenger/crew of what to do in the case of an emergency.

Third - he was absolutely right - he should have had flares...even as a day sailor. It not important that he's a mile off of the coast or fifty. He needed to be prepared.

Finally, you're all absolutely correct - he needs sailing lesson at the very minimum.

slaume

Feb 21, 2014
Cape Dory 30 C Noank
I have to agree that this wasn't really a news story.

I sunk a boat very similar to that one once. I took it out on a lake and healed it a bit too far. Water started coming over the rail so I hiked out to right it and it just scooped more water until it filled to the point of sinking. Perfectly upright and straight to the bottom it went. I think the mast was still sticking out of the water but the boat was resting happily on the bottom.

Floatation is a very good thing in a small boat.

The interview was a disaster but I can certainly relate to what happened to the guy. Judging from the woman's comments I don't think they planed to do this, Steve.

Jul 15, 2013
Hunter 240 Fish Creek, WI
Kinda looks like he lost the tiller, looked stunned by that development, jibed, mast came over too quick, he ducked, she went leeward, glub glub. The worst part is that this is Lake Winnebago, in August, so green and thick you can mow it....

Jun 8, 2004
Macgregor 21 Clinton, NJ
Just a simple knock-down due to poor SA(situation awareness). The boat reminds me of my old knock-off of the Oday 17 I had. It was a pretty 'beamy' boat and rarely made us worry about a knockdown if we kept a weather eye out when handling the sheets properly. The flotation was under the cockpit bunks.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Gotta love small town local news. :)

"In other news, Gladys and Harvey Wharfbanger's three-year old Persian cat got stuck on the roof of their single-wide mobile home this morning! Poor kitty! Here's video of the entire volunteer fire department though, coming to kitty's rescue .... "

Jun 15, 2004
- - Riverside, NJ
Death on The Delaware

This does look like a knockdown with unexperienced boaters. Recently, in the Delaware River in PA, an experienced sailor was drowned when his boat capsized and sank. The boat was reported to be 23-25', and it was reported to have been lost when a storm came up. Three other people on the boat swam to shore. Since this incident (July, I think), I haven't heard any other details of the tragedy. If anybody out there knows what happened, it might be instructive if they could share it with the rest of the community.]

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
This does look like a knockdown with unexperienced boaters. Recently, in the Delaware River in PA, an experienced sailor was drowned when his boat capsized and sank. The boat was reported to be 23-25', and it was reported to have been lost when a storm came up. Three other people on the boat swam to shore. Since this incident (July, I think), I haven't heard any other details of the tragedy. If anybody out there knows what happened, it might be instructive if they could share it with the rest of the community.]
Just google "sailboat capsize delaware river".

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
Slow day for news there dude? He should have seen me and my buddy on a Force 5 in 30 knot gusts. Probably would have made breaking news on TV. Headlines would be "Two 230 pound men on small sailboat looking like 2 monkeys screwing a football"........

Aug 16, 2009
Pearson/Hunter P39 Sloop & 25'Chrubini Yankeetown, FL
Well, Let's see, where do I begin (after ONLY watching that ridiculous minute and 21 seconds of my life never to be recaptured...ONCE)....
FYI, (because I also OWN 1 exactly like 'his' only about 5 years older than 'his' vessel and it ain't 20' long folks, that's a classic, O'Day DaySailor, Model #1, I own hull #2 fm. 1958...& Yes, before the thought crosses Your mind, an owner former to me was kind enough to add lots of flotation):
1-This is a boat (especially the model I's) that's FAMOUS for 'sinking', swamping, and even turning turtle (which You should hope for; In that case it'll actually continue to Float, so maybe she did him a FAVOR by sitting on the mast);
2-This is the most barren (as in non-existent) interior of 1 of these vessels that I'VE EVER SEEN (and I've seen literally HUNDREDS of interiors on these), along with scabbed on nasty, left over plywood looking like he scavenged same from a recent neighborhood rehab's dumpster (go back and check out the centerboard 'trunk' in the video),
3-The Tiller (NOT the Rudder) was "ripped from 'his' hand"? Jeez, what kind of Girlie Men are they raising in Michigan these Days? As somebody else already pointed out, YES, he SHOULD have had a Hand (rather FIRMLY I Might add) on the TILLER, and since he had a total novice with him. the other hand on his mainsheet.
4-These boats are EXTREMELY forgiving and have taught (literally here) HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS to sail (or in his case.."not so much"), and there have been over 13,000 of them manufactured to date. WhoEver first stated that 'his' FIRST safety Step should be LESSONS was painfully accurate.
5-As also somebody else pointed out...it didn't SINK, as it was on the trailer back in his driveway for the reporter to interview him in front of; ergo it was a knockdown. If I were him (and I'm not...haven't been that inept on a tiller since age 8, no kidding), I'd sign up for BoatUS's Premier (GOLD) Towing package (which we DO have, but for completely different reasons), so that he doesn't wind up on CNN again for his incompetence.
6-Nobody else mentioned it so I probably should...Even on LAKES it's best to CHECK the WEATHER before You head out...great way to determine whether genoa's should even be thrown in the trunk/bed/back seat of Your tow vehicle, and AWESOME Way to know whether maybe (just maybe) You should even GO to the LAKE or Not this particular day. Gusts over 20mph in the case of a 17'er? Nah, sorry kids, we're taking the BIGGER boat today.
There's more but Dinner calls,
-M

Mark48

Mar 1, 2008
Hunter 34 Milwaukee
Yes, slow news day, Brewers won again and the Packers are just starting to practice.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
Yes, slow news day, Brewers won again and the Packers are just starting to practice.
Sorry to hear that......Brewers winning I mean. Die hard Cardinal fan here......

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
Well, Let's see, where do I begin (after ONLY watching that ridiculous minute and 21 seconds of my life never to be recaptured...ONCE)....
FYI, (because I also OWN 1 exactly like 'his' only about 5 years older than 'his' vessel and it ain't 20' long folks, that's a classic, O'Day DaySailor, Model #1, I own hull #2 fm. 1958...& Yes, before the thought crosses Your mind, an owner former to me was kind enough to add lots of flotation):
1-This is a boat (especially the model I's) that's FAMOUS for 'sinking', swamping, and even turning turtle (which You should hope for; In that case it'll actually continue to Float, so maybe the fat chick did him a FAVOR by sitting on the mast);
2-This is the most barren (as in non-existent) interior of 1 of these vessels that I'VE EVER SEEN (and I've seen literally HUNDREDS of interiors on these), along with scabbed on nasty, left over plywood looking like he scavenged same from a recent neighborhood rehab's dumpster (go back and check out the centerboard 'trunk' in the video),
3-The Tiller (NOT the Rudder) was "ripped from 'his' hand"? Jeez, what kind of Girlie Men are they raising in Michigan these Days? As somebody else already pointed out, YES, he SHOULD have had a Hand (rather FIRMLY I Might add) on the TILLER, and since he had a total novice with him. the other hand on his mainsheet.
4-These boats are EXTREMELY forgiving and have taught (literally here) HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS to sail (or in his case.."not so much"), and there have been over 13,000 of them manufactured to date. WhoEver first stated that 'his' FIRST safety Step should be LESSONS was painfully accurate.
5-As also somebody else pointed out...it didn't SINK, as it was on the trailer back in his driveway for the reporter to interview him in front of; ergo it was a knockdown. If I were him (and I'm not...haven't been that inept on a tiller since age 8, no kidding), I'd sign up for BoatUS's Premier (GOLD) Towing package (which we DO have, but for completely different reasons), so that he doesn't wind up on CNN again for his incompetence.
6-Nobody else mentioned it so I probably should...Even on LAKES it's best to CHECK the WEATHER before You head out...great way to determine whether genoa's should even be thrown in the trunk/bed/back seat of Your tow vehicle, and AWESOME Way to know whether maybe (just maybe) You should even GO to the LAKE or Not this particular day. Gusts over 20mph in the case of a 17'er? Nah, sorry kids, we're taking the BIGGER boat today.
There's more but Dinner calls,
-M
We have spent many days and nights on Lake Winnebago and trust me - what these kids had was NOT much weather. Gawd, when the wind gets going and clocking around for a few days on that big oval shallow pond things can get quite exciting - especially to leeward. I love it - the admiral thankfully tolerates it. We had quite a few days of white knuckle experiences there in early July of this year.

Their clown act reminds me of our 1st year sailing when many of the dumb things we did are now called "experience".

I was always under the impression that "Fond du Lac" meant "at the foot of the lake" but what do I know being a dumb Irishman and all.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I saw a couple of teens turtle their sailing dingy in the middle of the lake in order to use the bottom as a swim and sunning platform. After a while, they righted the boat and sailed off. These young girls had a high level of confidence in their abilities and their boat. They were also having a great time. We old timers were at anchor, comfortable in the shade of our bimini, having lunch and enjoying a good bottle of wine.
Way back in high school I would take girls out on my Sunfish and turtle the boat. We'd swim under the cockpit and make out. I don't think any of them went sailing with me a second time.

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
And I suppose he had a diver retrieve the GoPro from the lake bed?

There's more, but my mind is still reeling..

Damn Dawg, the whole ENTIRE fire department?

Man it took ten minutes to read through this for laughing so hard, I am dead serious.

Jun 28, 2014
Oday 25 Arkansas
I have sunk in all the best harbors. Tipping without flotation is not fun. I rented a 14 foot FG daysailor in Nantucket about 1975, the rental shop was on the newer North wharf. it looked like a good i.e. windy day. I assumed the boat would have flotation. If there were any, someone had removed the plugs for the air cells under the cockpit bench seating and then it left nothing but a center board trunk and a bare cuddy cabin. This wharf was at the north end of most of the harbor and south of Brant point so there were a lot of itinerants, daysailors, et c, to be negotiated when jibing back downwind from the channel, moored each 35-40 feet. After a short sail away from the dock into the wind to the ferry channel and a broad reach to and from Jetties Beach, the return trip required negotiation of all the moored craft. The Coast Guard station had by then raised it's gale warning flag, and I could make no progress to the dock except by short runs and jibes around the moored boats- nothing a novice should have attempted.
The flip over, grab for the ditty bag, soaked camera, soaked fiancé, and no flotation meant that the boat was visible by the masthead only, down at the bow with apparently a bubble at the stern, keeping the latter a few inches underwater. This seemed to happen in all of around 60 seconds. I did get some help from the nearby Coast Guard, with a tow to the Brant Point Beach, where this captain abandoned ship. No deposit, no return. Let them at the shop tow the sucker back. We had flotation devices but not even a whistle. No shortage of spectators there.

The next time in 1982 with my own trailered-in Clark C-Lark in Charleston (SC) Harbor, the city marina into the Ashley River exited via a goalpost-shaped double-sided steel breakwater with walls around 12 feet high, enough to remove most of the wind from the sails of the little sloop. The 15 feet sloop had no auxiliary. The width between the sides of the steel walls was about 50 feet, with ample wind to tack into the breakwater, and get grabbed by the 9 knot incoming tide and fixed in the corner of the upriver arm of the goalpost, after attempting to tack out, capsizing and turning turtle in the process! If I recall this boat had a metal centerboard that descended into the trunk. The sails were up and attempting to sail underwater along with the current. Charleston was amply provided with Coast Guard at that time, and the first launch that arrived took us off and pulled the boat out of the corner shelter of the metal breakwater. But it was underpowered to do anymore than pull the little boat out of the breakwater and into the main channel where the launch and upside down sloop were both being dragged by the filled underwater sails to head underneath the first of several Ashley River bridges, which was a quite picturesque structure but dangerous to both, given the wind and reversed tidal flow. This required radioing for the larger 40+ foot Coast Guard Cutter, two swimmers in the water to flip the boat, which was thankfully a good alternative to cutting the sails loose. My friend the waitress did not want to go sailing with me after that, but apart from her slightly lacerated toe from a screw extending under the teak on the centerboard trunk, she, the C-lark and myself were discouraged but intact. Small boats can ALWAYS use more flotation. As a lake sailor, I picked a bad place and time to launch in Charleston, with insufficient experience for those conditions. Consulting tidal tables (and local knowledge) would have been worthwhile even in a southern location.
I was lucky, and am grateful to the Coast Guard. Next time, I'll tell you about my horses!

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
Guess my knock downs in my Holder 14 are news worthy, who knew. Release the sheets, stand on the center/danger board, right the boat, climb back in and press on, go home
All true. I sailed mine for 20 years before I got too old and fat to haul my bulk up and over the transom. Now it is a Hunter 18 (no transom) for small boat thrills and a C-310 for comfort under sail.

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
And I suppose he had a diver retrieve the GoPro from the lake bed?

There's more, but my mind is still reeling..

Damn Dawg, the whole ENTIRE fire department?

Man it took ten minutes to read through this for laughing so hard, I am dead serious.
In the area they were it was 10 feet deep max. I think. Likely less.
We've discovered that that area is a poor bedtime anchorage when winds are Northly.....

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
Is that a joke ? The name of the place in "Fond du Lac, Wisconsin"... In french, "Fond du Lac" means "Bottom of the Lake" ;-)
It isn't a joke, Fond du Lac is located on the south end of Lake Winnebago. As topcat said, he wouldn't need a diver to get his GoPro - he could just reach down and grab it!! Lake Winnebago is very shallow, it is impossible to turtle all but the smallest dinghies because the mast will hit bottom.
Chris Patterson, also two sheriff's boats!!! and this was big news!!! When I've been asked about "the sailboat that flipped on the lake" I try to explain that it was a day sailor, not a "big sailboat" and then I tell them when I owned a 14' Hobie with a vinyl tramp (it acts like another sail) I would have made news every time I sailed because that things was always on it's side..