Hitch geometry

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lloyd

Hello, I have a vehicle with a receiver hitch and wish to tow a trailer with it. I also know which trailer I want to buy.The class rating is equal and ok. What I dont know is how I find out which ball and tounge to buy. Tounges come in different "drops".(I dont know what this means.) What measurements do I need to take to buy the correct tounge. I went to Auto Zone and tounges have both a "drop" and "rise" specification. Very confusing. Thanks for any and all help,LLOYD

P

Pete

trailer info

lloyd, the ball size is determined by the trailer,the ball size is marked on the coupling mechanism. The dealer can show/tell you. As far as the tounges are concerned the trailer dealer should be able to help you out here also but you want a drop or rise that will make the trailer level or just on a upward angle.This is determined by the tow vehicle and the trailer tire size.It can be hard to understand at first but just make sure all the equipment meets or is rated above load that you will pull. Don't forget to add trailer weight and be liberal about how much everthing you put on your boat will add up in total weight. get a tape measure and start measuring hitch height and trailer height,you should be able to get a good measurment to figure what drop or rise you need. Drop being the distance needed to lower the ball height to tow trailer as close to level,rise being the distance to move the ball up to tow level. Good Luck !

H

Herb

confusing yes but easy to find out.

ok Lloys here we go First measure the height of the trailer tounge when the trailer is sitting level. Lets say that is 24 inchs for now. second measure the height of you tow vechile hitch reciever, lets say that is 26 inchs for now. third subtract the 26 from the 24 and you get a drop of 2 inches. If the tow vechile was lower you would have a rise rather than a drop. Now as to the size of the ball you need to know what the weight of the boat and the trailer is together and then you will find a rating on the ball. Basically the 1 7/8 will be for your lighter boats like under 2000, the 2 inch will be for your mid range and then 2 5/16 will be for the big boys. But check the rating on the ball and make sure that your tow vechile, your reciever size and your ball size all match or are over rated for the trailer you want to tow. One last thing to check will be what size ball does the trailer hitch call for that will be a good place to start on the ball size. Good luck and any further questions or of this is clear as mud just post a follow up question.

E

Ed Ryan

Trailer capacity

For what it's worth, the Power Squadron Boating Course book recommends that the capacity of the trailer should exceed the combined weight of the trailer, boat, motor and gear by 15% for safety reasons. (In the interest of full disclosure, I'm not a trailer sailor and have no practical experience in this topic.)

E

Echo Gulf

Tongue weight,

Herb and Pete seem to have covered everything except trailer tongue weight. The weight of the (loaded) trailer tongue will lower your back suspension on the tow vehicle, this must be accounted for when determining whether to raise or drop the hitch. Available at most RV suppliers are height adjustable hitches that slide into the tow vehicle receiver, this may be an easy resolution for you.

B

Bill

Tongue weight lbs

The tongue weight should be 10% of the combine boat & trailer weight up to 300 lbs

E

Echo Gulf

Bill, tongue weight?

Bill, I'm not sure how you arrived at the "up to 300lbs" limit mentioned in your post. I know that maximum permissable tongue weight limits vary according to the capacity and type of the hitch (and tow vehicle)being used and are normally indicated on the hitch. I have a 950 lb tongue weight with my 9000 lb boat/trailer on a Reese hitch rated for 1400lbs tongue and 14000 lbs load. Lloyd, I strongly urge you to take your vehicle to the nearest RV centre and consult them. I'm sure they would be able to asses you needs and recommend suitable and safe equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.