History of Lancer Quality

okengr

Feb 19, 2012
Lancer 40 & Catalina 30/309 Galveston, TX / Kingston, OK
I recently purchased a 1982 Lancer 38 CC. I'm told by the PO the 38 CC was renamed the 40 CC in 1983 and he supplied manufacturer brochures that validated his claim. Same specs both years, but different model names. This boat has an integrated swim step that is an extension of the hull and makes for a very nice arrangement.

He also made the following claim to which I would invite your comment concerning any information that might confirm or deny it:

"Don't let bad press on late model Lancers sour you on older Lancer boats. Lancer was known for quality and speed before they sold out to another company in 1984 who then proceeded to destroy Lancer's reputation. This is a sturdy, comfortable, well made boat."

Please understand his statement about "Destroying Lancer's reputation" is his opinion not mine. I had the boat surveyed before purchase by a well known Houston area professional. His survey returned a "better than average" overall evaluation with many personal comments about the boats quality construction. He said it was constructed with a full interior liner that significantly increased its structural strength and coupled with an epoxied hull to deck joint he claimed the boat would take us anywhere we wanted to go.

Finding anything other than pictures of a handful of boats like this one on the internet is a difficult venture, so I'm hoping I might find better information here about these claims.

Thanks!

okengr

Feb 19, 2012
Here is a comparison of the L38 and L40. Same specs except LOA and LWL due to the integrated swim platform adding 24" at the water line.

Attachments

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I think Lancers are a quality boat. But not on par with the likes of Pacific Seacraft, or Erikson, or Hunter. But I think their build quality is better than Macgregors of the same era. No putting down Macgregors but they were a light weight, thin skin boat that were mass produced for the masses.

My Lancer has a very think hull. Topside plating is .636" and the keel top plating is .769". That is pretty thick in my book. Yes, coming up on 30 years I have crazing all over the deck. That is why I said not the likes of PC and others. But for a boat that was made for the above average sailor, I think they did a really good job.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
I think Lancers are a quality boat. But not on par with the likes of Pacific Seacraft, or Erikson, or Hunter. But I think their build quality is better than Macgregors of the same era. No putting down Macgregors but they were a light weight, thin skin boat that were mass produced for the masses. job.
Started sailing with a Mc G venture 24. Thin skinned yes, but tougher than I was 35 years ago.

Feb 17, 2006
Yes, the Mac's are tough boats. And they were very affordable for their target audience. If one wanted to get on the water, have a trailer boat, and not pay an arm and a leg for it, the Mac was the way to go. I almost bought one in the '80s.

okengr

Feb 19, 2012
Lancer Comparisons

Hi Brian,
Did I understand correctly your comparison of Lancer quality to the other superior boats you listed was based on the crazing issues you've had with your boat?

Okengr

Jun 24, 2014
Westsail 28 72 Long Beach , California
I had the opportunity to meet Herb David back in the mid 90's . We were at Isthmus Cove Catalina . I was already moored and he came motoring in, in a big Lancer with that swim step . As he came past he was really excited about my boat and he asked if he could come over and have a talk . So after he got tied up he came over by a Sabot , he was standing in it (side ways) and sculling it but the oar was in front ! After he got aboard He says "man I really like your boat , I'm the guy who designed it" And I said Bill Crealock glad to meet you ! That had to hurt. My bad .

Feb 17, 2006
Okengr, I am not understanding your question. The crazing I am seeing on my boat is not on the higher end boats. But I am also saying that the Lancers are not comparable with the higher end boats, but more of a better built boat for the average sailor of the times. And I surely was not saying the Macs of that time were cheaply made either. They were very good boats for the budget minded trailer sailor.

I had the chance to pick up a 78 Yamaha 33 from the original owner. Kick myself in the butt for not doing that. But I inspected the boat and found zero crazings anywhere. Not a single crack in the gelcoat. I also looked at a PS31 and found the samething. Not one single crack anywhere.

I would love to patch all my tiny cracks. Maybe one day I will find a way without having to re-gelcoat the boat.

okengr

Feb 19, 2012
Hi Brian, I'm trying to understand why crazing would be a significant indicator of overall build quality. Are you thinking your crazing issues are due to lack of strength in the hull structure or moreso in the way the gelcoat was applied? You mentioned the strength of your boats structure, so it would seem unlikely the crazing is due to the boat flexing. Are there other issues that constitute the difference in build quality between your boat and the others you mentioned? Basically, I'm trying to understand what makes these other boats better than a Lancer.

Feb 17, 2006
I don't have an answer because I am not a naval architect. Why is my boat crazing while other superior boats do not is beyond me. Maybe the gelcoat application on my boat was thinner than on the more expensive boats to save money. My crazings are not all on stress points. A lot are, but a lot are not. I would love to fill them in and have my boat look new again, but that is cost prohibitive.