High winds in the NE today.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I sailed out of New London for many years, so I am familiar with Ledge Light and LIS.

Same old story..... Either no wind or a bit too much!! :yikes: Maybe "a bit" is an understatement?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Last I saw in Annapolis, 31 to 37. The pumpout boat was not running today. The Great Schooner Race for this afternoon is postponed to Friday at 0730.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Hi Bob:
Jamestown always seemed to be such a poor anchorage in an East or North East blow....very sad
Rick

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
A boat sank in Pipes Cove around Greenport today. I think the other boat in the video is moored and not there to assist. It isn't very deep there so I'm sure the unfortunate vessel will be recovered. They may get another blow next week.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I'd be interested in the dynamics of the sinking sailboat. Maybe my eyes deceive me but it looks like its heeling over "towards" the winds. Doesn't seem natural. Inquiring minds want to know.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I'd be interested in the dynamics of the sinking sailboat. Maybe my eyes deceive me but it looks like its heeling over "towards" the winds. Doesn't seem natural. Inquiring minds want to know.
My guess is the keel touched bottom. And to me it looks like the wind is forward and slightly to starboard of the bow. So yes, the mast seemed to point slightly into the wind but not really that much.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Well, I'm sitting at Norwegian Air terminal at Logan, about to fly to Paris to meet my wife and son. I'm glad the weather has settled a little.
We were without Internet all day yesterday. The cellphone data still worked, but not the TWC wifi. I guess it was across multiple town.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Our summer marina was in Falmouth Maine, they got hit hard last year too.

Two years ago, slight oops in my memory.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
If I get details I'll pass them along. I'm wondering if the two boats depicted dragged their moorings. In any event the boat that sank may have gotten it's main halyard fouled on the bigger boat and was heeled over until water entered (The dreaded lazarette). The wind was westerly according to Captain Larry and Rgranger's posts. The mast of the sunken boat seems to have been dragged North towards the bigger boat (Which may be aground).

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
News from Portland Maine stated 15-20 boats sunk or aground in Falmouth. Power has been out so my usual sources are slow to report. Many counties without power and estimated Monday before all power is restored.

Last edited:

GSBNY

May 9, 2019
O’Day 192 New York
If I get details I'll pass them along. I'm wondering if the two boats depicted dragged their moorings. In any event the boat that sank may have gotten it's main halyard fouled on the bigger boat and was heeled over until water entered (The dreaded lazarette). The wind was westerly according to Captain Larry and Rgranger's posts. The mast of the sunken boat seems to have been dragged North towards the bigger boat (Which may be aground).
The winds started from the north east and then clocked to the west overnight and kept its strength. It was an amazing shift to watch, one minute we’re getting 40+ gusts from the northeast and suddenly it was 40+ from the west.

On the Great South Bay, the east winds flooded us with a super high tide but, when the wind did a 180 to the west, it immediately pushed all the water back out for a super low. That shift to the west saved us from some serious flooding, you can see that it literally turned the tide early. It was a fun time adjusting dock lines for the high and the low in that wind.

38ADDEC2-68F9-4560-9F2E-09C5C941CCF7.gif

Last edited:

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
The Nor'easter was a corker for some around here. Dozens of boats washed up along our coast.

I worried more about my house (trees) than boat out in my harbor that was protected from the Easterly winds.

On the other hand, Rockland Harbor, 3 miles South, was exposed to the brunt of the Easterly winds. Even with a breakwater to quell the surf, several boats washed up.

We're fully exposed to the South in Rockport Harbor. I start to get nervous when Southerly winds are forecast in excess of 40 knots. That's when I'll simply pack up a couple days provisions and head for a safe harbor. I don't see the alternative - testing my mooring gear - a viable option.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
That's when I'll simply pack up a couple days provisions and head for a safe harbor. I don't see the alternative - testing my mooring gear - a viable option.
Now that's the best Drop everything excuse to go sailing I've heard in a long time! ;)

If you ever need an extra set of hands to help with that, I'd love an excuse to say " Ah, I have to go help a fellow sailor keep his boat safe"! LOL

dj

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
That's when I'll simply pack up a couple days provisions and head for a safe harbor. I don't see the alternative - testing my mooring gear - a viable option.
Do you have an alternate place where you can leave it on a mooring, or do you anchor? I'd love to get one nearby for 'easters. My boat is exposed to the E/SE for 30+ miles to the east.
PS -- it's not just about testing your mooring gear. I worry about the other boats' mooring gear too.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Do you have an alternate place where you can leave it on a mooring, or do you anchor? I'd love to get one nearby for 'easters. My boat is exposed to the E/SE for 30+ miles to the east.
PS -- it's not just about testing your mooring gear. I worry about the other boats' mooring gear too.
I have several protected 'hurricane holes' in this area of the bay, unfortunately they are all a couple hours away. Plus, the nearest and best are on big islands out in the bay. Out there you can find 360 degree protection with few other boats to contend with. Most have some mooring options but because you'd need to take a ferry home, I to stay with the boat.

Most of these big fall storms come through pretty quickly. It's usually a 24 to 36 hour period that the clocking winds will make our harbor dangerous to stay in. I stayed on a mooring in this one, a late October gale, a few years ago. I didn't like it. :), but the mooring was more than up to it.
October 30 gale+ shredded jib.jpg