Hey Jackdaw, guess what I finally got to do.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
After two years on this forum and the frustration of life interfering with plans, I went sailing yesterday.
20190707_184137.jpg
My kids were/are all up for the 4th. It's been a busy holiday, and my wife asked, "How long will it take to see if the boat is in sailing condition?"
"I don't know. I have never sailed a Windmill before."
"Well perhaps we should just forget it this time and take the kayaks instead."
To which, I said, "It shouldn't take long."
20190707_103859(0).jpg
So, I went out and set her up to see what was what.
20190707_103507.jpg
Man! This is a complicated little boat. The were hauls and vang lines and multiple halyards and a whisker pole setup along the boom that I'd never seen before. It has a line running down its middle and bungee holding it loosely in place. The stays seem to be too long, the mast has two throats, one is obviously hand made by bending the track out, and there's either a cunningham or a downhaul cable (It turned out to be a downhaul, but I'm still not positive). The step looks like it has multiple positions and there are wedges cut out of cutting board material to fit into the thwart where the mast comes through. Nothing holds the floating dagger board down and the vang catches it when it floats up (maybe a bungee needs to be added).
The are still a few lines I haven't figured out what they're for yet. It came with a mainsail and two jibs. I chose the larger jib and left the smaller one home.
Linda decides to call it quits and just go with the kayaks.
"We're ready." I say. "I'll figure the rest out when we are on the water. "
We scramble, last minute, for PFDs and head out to Forest Lake.
20190707_190601.jpg
I rig her up without the jib because there is a small amount of impatience as well as nervousness about the tippiness. We make a quick try at turning our Rougarou into a sailor dog20190707_130838.jpg and Linda and I head out.
Now, something about the Windmill one should know. The Daggerboard is quite long. The public boat launch has a shallow rock bed between it and the rest of the lake. I am not a regular visitor to Forest Lake and I did not know this. I have some fiberglass work to do now.
We had fun, Linda was not yet ready to heel so we kept it sedate. But then, the winds were very cooperative for that too. Lots of on and off with some shifting around the convolutions of shoreline. Without the jib, it's good we had paddles to help bring us through some of the earlier tacks.
My daughter and her boyfriend took a turn with me then my son's girlfriend when he declined because his mother said, "Not on your own. This isn't some little resort Hobie 14."
He decided later he'd go with me.
20190707_184204.jpg
He was surprisingly nervous about heeling too. After I assured him that the Windmill could heel a lot more than he was letting it, he relaxed a bit. I even got a chance to demonstrate how the hiking straps worked. My mistake. I really feel that today.
Then we were talking about planing and sailing down wind. I decided to try out the whisker pole on our last run before heading in.
20190707_184132.jpg
Wow, that is a cool setup. Just pull a line and the whisker pole runs out through a sleeve right to the clew of the jib. Only on the port side, but it's for DDW, so no problems.
Then, my son is complaining about the loss of wind. I say, "What? We got plenty of wind."
"No we don't. I don't feel any wind."
I say, look at the water. We're moving pretty good."
"There's no wind!"
"Because we're sailing with it."
"Not very fast."
Then, BAM! We hit a submerged rock and I fly across the thwart into the bow. Got a huge goose egg on my shin.
"See how fast we were going?"

It was a great day, but never on that lake again.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Great story. Happy sailing with family.
Hope rock did not do damage to the boat. It did allow you to make your point with your son.

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
Thanks for posting the pics! Looks like a blast! I'm glad I'm not the only one that uses the dagger board for an emergency brake!:)

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
WOW Will sounds like a great time. New boats always have lots to figure out. That’s just part of the fun. Keep it up!

Regarding getting out, I think that as adults of means we all do exactly what we want, and prioritize as such. Sailing, golfing, kids, chicken farming, woodworking, etc etc we all do what’s important to us, and ignore what is not. In the winter I ski and play hockey and well as sail down south, but in the summer I don’t golf, grill, tend garden, ride motorcycles etc, I sail.

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
Thanks Apex.
It was a while ago that @Jackdaw was treasing me about how I never sail. Unfortunate, but his observation was accurate, so I thought it was worth a bit of a celebration.

Now to keep it up. :rolleyes:

-Will (Dragonfly)
This is great and everything, but when are you going to get the Mariner out?!?!:biggrin:

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
...Then, BAM! We hit a submerged rock and I fly across the thwart into the bow. Got a huge goose egg on my shin..
It is the "Granite State." But a cool story nevertheless. Most of my sailing sorties with guests and family were pretty much a disaster. Yet there were smiles at the end. Maybe because they were happy to get back to dry land but nevertheless... One good one was my new to me step daughter in the Bandit 15 trolling for Bluefish in Little Peconic Bay. They were easy to hook up and soon she had one on the line. I thought she would enjoy it. Instead she freaked out. She had no idea a fish could pull that hard (She's maybe caught a Crappie before) and when it was landed she was so scared of it she almost went overboard. Good times! She doesn't sail much with us anymore.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Oh my, I should have TREASED you when you were down at Jazzfest.:laugh:
If you get another chance, give me notice and I'll come sell advance tickets. We can split the proceeds 50-50.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
we all do exactly what we want, and prioritize as such.
Jackdaw, I always knew you were a philosopher.
You are so right. Given a multitude of desires and only the awareness of linear temporal experiences, we must choose which wants get immediately satisfied and which get deferred or discarded.
Personal relationships always take precedence. Experiences are preferred over acquisition, maintenance and obligations are often a must because the loss suffered if not met is undesirable.
Knowing and consciously making these choices serves little to relieve us of our sense of longing for the unfulfilled.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
This is great and everything, but when are you going to get the Mariner out?!?!:biggrin:
:banghead:
I have made and paid for a commitment to sail in the Aug 2nd annual Mariner Rendezvous in Connecticut. I'm still unsure of I'll manage to make it.
My CB is only half painted, but I think I'll leave it at that and just put it back in. I need to re-bed all the deck hardware, especially the chainplates. She needs a sheet system. I really like how the windmill is rigged. It could, I think, be simplified, but it works as a traveler. Then there is the auxiliary and electric to do. I'll wait on the yuloh.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 8, 2010
Jackdaw, I always knew you were a philosopher.
You are so right. Given a multitude of desires and only the awareness of linear temporal experiences, we must choose which wants get immediately satisfied and which get deferred or discarded.
Personal relationships always take precedence. Experiences are preferred over acquisition, maintenance and obligations are often a must because the loss suffered if not met is undesirable.
Knowing and consciously making these choices serves little to relieve us of our sense of longing for the unfulfilled.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Agree on the first part. On the second I don’t know... I think knowing that you are making a conscious choice helps. Acknowledging that you are actually in control and doing what you want to do settles the mind.

I have a lot of friends that golf. I own clubs and golf MAYBE once every two years. Every now and then I think about playing more, maybe getting good at it... and then I remind my self that I have made my own choices. I’m happy with them. I’m spending my time exactly how I want.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
I own clubs and golf MAYBE once every two years. Every now and then I think about playing more, maybe getting good at it.
Jackdaw, if you are the perfectionist I suspect you are, trying to get “good” at golf would prove extremely frustrating for you. As you know, in sailing, if you know what to do, the boat will usually go where you want it to go. After fifteen years of learning from articles and lessons what to do when swinging a golf club, I finally realized that my body would simply refuse to do what it should and therefore the ball did not go where I wanted it to go. That’s why I gave it up for sailing.

Nov 8, 2010
Jackdaw, if you are the perfectionist I suspect you are, trying to get “good” at golf would prove extremely frustrating for you. As you know, in sailing, if you know what to do, the boat will usually go where you want it to go. After fifteen years of learning from articles and lessons what to do when swinging a golf club, I finally realized that my body would simply refuse to do what it should and therefore the ball did not go where I wanted it to go. That’s why I gave it up for sailing.
Indeed. Gladwell says you have to spend 10,000 hours of correct practice to achieve world-class expertise in any discipline. I've put my time on for sailing. At my age I'll be damned if I'll start over for golf.