Hey 49 owners - call me stupid but

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 49 60803 Lake Erie
I can't figure out how to lower the dinette table into a double berth. I had assumed I would lift the table up off it's support posts... remove the posts and set the table back down on the wood lip around the front edge of the seats.... add the cushion I haven't figured out where to store yet and wala I'd have an extra berth ... but nooo I can't budge the table off the posts and the posts and table together don't lift out of the floor.

So what is the proper procedure? Thanks for your help.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 49 Mystic CT
I do it all the time its held there by compression on both top and bottom. I guess a you need a little more mussel to help get them out. Is the problem in the bottom or top of the post? I know Artboas added thumb screws to his to help keep them in place. This probably doesn't help but the posts do come out.

macdu

Aug 31, 2014
Hunter 49 Vancouver
Mine are very snug as well I find moving them side to side while pulling gets it done.

Jun 8, 2004
The posts don't come loose at either end (floor or under the table). I will rock it and pull a little harder now that I know for sure that it's just tight. I don't think it's every been apart in 9 years so add dirt and grime as glue.

Do your tables have the leaf, making the table three pieces? I didn't want to damage that slider mechanism by yanking to hard. Does the thing really just sit on the lip of the settee with no problem?

Feb 16, 2012
Hunter 45 CC Alamitos Bay, Long Beach
Our Hunter 45 CC has the same table set-up. First, remove the center leaf, making sure to re-connect the two "catches" under the table so it will not come apart. (this makes the table lighter, and easier to work with). Then have a person on each end of the table, rocking it slightly, port to starboard, while at the same time pulling up on the table. Take your time, and it will lift up. However the two "long table legs" may come out with the table top, or possibly one or both may stay in the bottom holders, if so just pull them out. When you go to re-set the table, so as to use the "extra" berth, just use the short legs. I am assuming that this is the same for the 45 CC, as well as the 49.
Jeff

Jun 8, 2004
hmmmm I don't have any short legs ... those sound like something nice to have ... other 49 owners do you have short legs?

Feb 16, 2012
Hunter 45 CC Alamitos Bay, Long Beach
hmmmm I don't have any short legs ... those sound like something nice to have ... other 49 owners do you have short legs?
I am not sure if the set-up is the same for the 45 CC and the 49. The shorter legs on the 45 CC allow the table to be re-installed at a lower level to match the height of the cushions for the port settee, thereby allowing the extra cushions to be placed on the "lowered" table top, creating a large berth.
Jeff

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
I can't figure out how to lower the dinette table into a double berth. I had assumed I would lift the table up off it's support posts... remove the posts and set the table back down on the wood lip around the front edge of the seats.... add the cushion I haven't figured out where to store yet and wala I'd have an extra berth ... but nooo I can't budge the table off the posts and the posts and table together don't lift out of the floor.

So what is the proper procedure? Thanks for your help.
Ok,
I know everything about this, so here goes..

First of all, the 2 posts come out of the floor bases & the table.
The problems are twofold:
The posts really get jammed in, and are hard to get out of either end if you haven't done so in awhile.
You need 2 people to gently & persistently rock the table upwards. I suggest getting a large rubber mallet and using it to give a few good well placed upward "taps" under the table.
I prefer this to applying too much pressure in lifting the table, as the posts are put in with rather short wood screws. You can pull them out if not careful.
Once the table is out, removed the posts from the floor mounts.
Then put a light layer of silicone grease on the posts where they meet the mounts. This will help them come apart easier next time.
There is a set of short posts that you really want to use if lowering the table . I don't feel that supporting it on the wood lip is adequate. Some 49s didn't come with these (like mine) , and I needed to order them from hunter
Next,,,
When you re-install the table, this can get tricky. If you have 2 people, then great. Just carefully drop it onto the posts.
If you are doing this by yourself, it's not so easy, as the posts can / will wobble
I drilled & tapped the bases & installed 1/4-20 thumb screws. This keeps the. Posts rigid as you move the table onto them from an angle.
Remember.. Put silicone grease on the posts, or they will be somewhat tough to remove

Jun 8, 2004
OK ... lots of good advice I like the rubber mallet idea ... since I don't have short posts and I have 7 people coming to the boat a week from now can any one provide me the measurements (length / diameter) of the short posts. I will need to make a quick pair to use temporarily (PVC seems like quick answer) until I have time to order a real set.

As always thanks for all your help and adive

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
OK ... lots of good advice I like the rubber mallet idea ... since I don't have short posts and I have 7 people coming to the boat a week from now can any one provide me the measurements (length / diameter) of the short posts. I will need to make a quick pair to use temporarily (PVC seems like quick answer) until I have time to order a real set.

As always thanks for all your help and adive
Pvc won't work
The posts have tapered ends which exactly fit the post housings.
So, here is another solution which will work.
Just get a bunch of flat junk, such as phone books, etc to carefully place under the table when lowered.
Once again, I strongly advise you not to rely on the wood trim only to support the table. It needs to be located in place.
As far as short tubes, you could likely order them very quickly. I'll try & locate info for this

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Pvc won't work
The posts have tapered ends which exactly fit the post housings.
So, here is another solution which will work.
Just get a bunch of flat junk, such as phone books, etc to carefully place under the table when lowered.
Once again, I strongly advise you not to rely on the wood trim only to support the table. It needs to be located in place.
As far as short tubes, you could likely order them very quickly. I'll try & locate info for this
Ok
Just measured mine
They are 9 1/4" long
I believe the mfg is Taco

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Ok
Just measured mine
They are 9 1/4" long
I believe the mfg is Taco
Ok
Got it.
It is Taco Marine. The Z76 series.
These are custom length posts, and you'll need to contact Taco. If you're really lucky, they'll have 2 kicking around
Good luck!

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 49 Mystic CT
I'm not sure you need the short posts. We drop the table all the time to convert to a berth. Had everything from a 250 lb man to a bunch of teenage girls sleeping on that table w/o short posts.

Jun 8, 2004
Again Thank you for all the help and advise ... I think I will feel better with some kind of support .. I understand that PVC won't work as a permanent replacement to real thing but short lengths of PVC could certainly act as a crutch the same a pile of books for my immediate problem. I will figure out how to order the short legs as a permanent solution for the future ... so thanks for the info on the manufacturer

Jun 8, 2004
Of course the above will all be mute if I can't get the long posts out of the way and the table down

Jun 8, 2004
Taco marine makes adjustable table legs .... I think I will order those to replace my long table legs eliminating the need to buy short ones and solving the difficulty of converting the table into a bunk with compression cylinders.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Taco marine makes adjustable table legs .... I think I will order those to replace my long table legs eliminating the need to buy short ones and solving the difficulty of converting the table into a bunk with compression cylinders.
I looked into this, but don't think it will work.
I believe that the collapsed height is too short for an extendable post. Logically, the collapsed height can't be less than 1/2 the extended height. Also, the adjustable mounts have "overhead" such as the locking mechanism.
I actually looked into drilling the floor, and having a collapsible post go under floor level, but I still think the numbers didn't work.
You should think about my suggestion where you thread the base, and put in a thumbscrew. If you don't do this, the following happens:
When you lift the table, the posts often come up with it. Then they magically break free & crash to the floor.
So, by locking them, you remove the table, and then take out the posts.

Jun 8, 2004
yep ... after my post I looked and much to my disappointment I noted that the collapse height was to high .... I was hoping the three piece versions would work, since they would collapse to 1/3 height vs 1/2, but no such luck. I'm still noodling but will most likely end up using your thumb screw solution with short posts.