Here's how close I came to losing my boat

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
12 boats sunk in my marina. The Coast guard has a crane and barges in place and have begun lifting the boats. Piling them onto a barge to be taken to a collection point south of here ( where boats from marinas south will be piled. Then headed for a crusher and land fill. No salvaging of part allowed

All boats on my side of dock stayed afloat, all across dock sank 7 on that dock This picture taken from ashore. My boat is the white one. I have no idea why the pic is that way- it isn't on my files
tehani with crane.jpg

Mar 1, 2012
thanks- tried it several times-would not straighten. and was shot in THIS orientation. go figure

And not totally intact-see the short spreader on port side? and the toe rail gap on starboard stern? used to be a bronze jib track there. But hey, she's floating and damage is minor compared- I have seven personal friends who lost boats

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Mar 1, 2012
sadly I really must agree. But in this case there are several hundred sunken or seriously damaged boats in four cities at least. Simply not the time to do salvage operations

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Well at least one less given your boat survived. Did you do anything special or just got lucky? Lessons learned?

Mar 1, 2012
rolled up and tightly lashed Bimini, removed jib, tightly wrapped main on boom. Doubled up lines. Still snapped three.
And I guess was lucky to be on good side of dock. I'm single and also had my house to prepare. Having to replace roof shingles

Tod

Dec 30, 2010
Montgomery 17 trailered
That was a close one! At least she's in the hands of someone who can repair her, better than new.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
what I really find sad, is that noone is getting a chance to salvage their own boat. A logistic nightmare for sure, but seems like somehow you'd be able to gather anything prior to landfill.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Boy that's environmentally friendly. NOT. I don't wish to get into a debate but one would think with the number of damaged boats that mother nature generates each year there would be a profitable or at least break even market out there to recycle or reuse the boat and boat bits.
https://www.unols.org/sites/default/files/Benvenuto_RecyclingFiberglassBoats.pdf
The aerospace industry is leading the charge in recycling resin infused products. There is a lot of waste in the industry and they are looking to recoup the cost. Once they make the process inexpensive enough and a market for the material, we could expect the process to include boats.

Feb 11, 2017
Gulfstar 47 NC
Glad you came out ok. Even with all you efforts, you are lucky. I think you should be able to salvage you boat once it is in a yard and before crushing.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Why would anyone other than the rightful owner have rights to the boat? I his all seems wrong to just haul them away. They can't know who is able to refloat them or at least recover personal items.

Ken

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Here ya go ...
How did you rotate the picture? I've sometimes had the same issue with pictures that have I posted. No matter how I rotate them & save them in Photoshop or Photowise, some of them just turn 90 degrees by themselves when posted. Did you edit then post? Did you edit after posting somehow? I didn't see an option to do that. Did you use third party hosting?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Jim
Not sure what Gene did, but when I take photos with my iPhone they sometimes rotate after they are save to my PC. To solve this I use the file rotate function of Win10. Select the file in the Win file folder and rotate the picture to the correct orientation. I then go to the browser viewing SBO and select the upload. Since the picture in in the correct orientation, it is uploaded as existing in the folder.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Jim
Not sure what Gene did, but when I take photos with my iPhone they sometimes rotate after they are save to my PC. To solve this I use the file rotate function of Win10. Select the file in the Win file folder and rotate the picture to the correct orientation. I then go to the browser viewing SBO and select the upload. Since the picture in in the correct orientation, it is uploaded as existing in the folder.
My pictures originated from an Android phone. I did my rotations in photo editing software. I didn't realize until you just pointed it out, that the file handling utilities in windows allow you to rotate a photo without first opening it.

I have uploaded photos that showed correct orientation on my Win 10 PC but came out 90 degrees off when posted here. I tried rotating them an extra 90 degrees in the other direction with Photoshop & saving, then uploading again, but they still came out in the same orientation as the original upload. I'll try your method for rotating the file next time & see if I get better results.

Thanks for filling me in on the option.

Mar 1, 2012
I usually use PAINT to adjust my pics - Crop, resize, flip orientation etc. Has worked for years. But that particular shot came vertical, posted laid over. Still don't know why cause it's on my hard driver vertically

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
alas, the uscg has a right under federal law to declare a vessel a hazard to navigation and sink it on the spot, i.e. destroy it... whether owner gets a right to save any or no stuff is really up to uscg once they have exercised their statutory power of destruction.